Handling Question

Jcal im thinking the same thing! That is defiantly my next cham it will be awhile before that happens i think though. Maybe when i get out of college!

sounds like i need to get a panther. my veil does everything he can to get away from me. i feel bad chasing him down to clean his cage but it has to be done.

I'd get a kinyongia multi if I were you. Thats the cham I have. Although I haven't owned a panther yet.... But I'm going to! In fact I just put a down payment on a blue bar Ambilobe yesterday. Gotta wait a 16 days until I can bring him home though.

Cant freaking wait!

I'd get a kinyongia multi if I were you. Thats the cham I have. Although I haven't owned a panther yet.... But I'm going to! In fact I just put a down payment on a blue bar Ambilobe yesterday. Gotta wait a 16 days until I can bring him home though.

Cant freaking wait!

How far do you have to go? Next year at the Pomona Show I am getting another cham, I hope to find a Sambava...maybe an unrelated couple...maybe...

We have a pet store in oshawa (probably 15 mins drive) that specializes in exotics. They're legit and they take good care of there animals.

They have everything from amphibians, to a couple chams, to fully grown iguanas and an adult monitor.

I've (sadly) never been to a reptile expo. I'll get my bro to take me next time he goes...

Or you can just pull the plant the stressed chameleon is on out of the cage. Then you don't have to scare the poop out of it.

I don't think handling should be done more than once a week UNLESS the animal walks onto your hand from the front of the cage. Don't stick your hand by the animal, just open the door and see if the animal comes to you. If it doesn't, then don't hold it. Tolerating handling and seeking it out are two different things.

We have a pet store in oshawa (probably 15 mins drive) that specializes in exotics. They're legit and they take good care of there animals.

They have everything from amphibians, to a couple chams, to fully grown iguanas and an adult monitor.

I've (sadly) never been to a reptile expo. I'll get my bro to take me next time he goes...

Not so far from you. This show in Pomona, is about a little over an hour from us. Can't wait to go and walk around and check out all the vendors and chat and hang out...

Wow! :eek: Look at the time! It's 10:54pm that means nite, nite boys and girls chat to you later!...

Or you can just pull the plant the stressed chameleon is on out of the cage. Then you don't have to scare the poop out of it.

I don't think handling should be done more than once a week UNLESS the animal walks onto your hand from the front of the cage. Don't stick your hand by the animal, just open the door and see if the animal comes to you. If it doesn't, then don't hold it. Tolerating handling and seeking it out are two different things.

While that's good advice, the fact is, this is your pet. If it tolerates you handling it (by not doing anything like pretending to be dead or biting you) then it's probably okay. My guinea pigs don't appreciate it at all when I trim their toenails, but it does have to happen. There are loads of similar situations with dogs, cats, bunnies, any pet. Sometimes you do things that aren't at the top of the animal's list of "fun stuff!".

From the original post it seems like you are a sensitive owner that does not force the chameleon in any way. I say, if he climbs onto your hand, then that's an invitation for you to spend some time with him. Just be aware that such encounters should be short and shouldn't include any other 4 footed members of the household.

What makes you say "the stressed chameleon"?

Wouldn't pulling the entire plant out stress him out more then seeing if he willingly climbs onto my hand? I mean I'm not putting my hand under him like you would when 'picking him up', hes willingly climbing onto me... This is just my thoughts, you obviously know more about chams then me.

Your probably right though. Maybe he thinks I'm just an object in his enclosure (like a branch or something).

While that's good advice, the fact is, this is your pet. If it tolerates you handling it (by not doing anything like pretending to be dead or biting you) then it's probably okay. My guinea pigs don't appreciate it at all when I trim their toenails, but it does have to happen. There are loads of similar situations with dogs, cats, bunnies, any pet. Sometimes you do things that aren't at the top of the animal's list of "fun stuff!".

From the original post it seems like you are a sensitive owner that does not force the chameleon in any way. I say, if he climbs onto your hand, then that's an invitation for you to spend some time with him. Just be aware that such encounters should be short and shouldn't include any other 4 footed members of the household.

He's never even tried to bite me. Not even once.

And don't worry. Haze won't be meeting my dog ever, lol.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm talking about the others who 'chase them down' to get them out.

Eliza,
Of course they have to be handled for certain things, but if they are stressed out by handling you should keep it to a minimum. It is also difficult to say that a chameleon is or is not stressed out by a certain thing without the animal clearly showing it. That is why i believe that you should generally leave them alone except for those needed handlings and/or if the animal clearly is seeking you (or freedom) out. Then you for sure know that the animal is okay with being on your hand. I have seen my 'friendly' panther walk on my hand in an attempt to get past it to a different spot. When I moved my hand he freaked out. He did not want to be held even though it seemed like it from my interpretation at the time. If I had kept my hand out of the plants, I would have known he was just moving to a different set of plants.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't need to pull my chameleons out every day to pick up a piece of poop... It's not like you have to power wash the whole cage every day.

I maybe wrong but I think pssh was saying the people who get them out (with out them really "wanting" to) every day for "cleaning".
I don't know (new to keeping chameleons) but seems to me if he wants to be out walking on you it would be fine, tho I'd I'd still watch because he may change his mind once he's way from the cage.

speaking of, what all should we be looking for as signs of stress?
I know changing color (is it just darkening or any color change?) and clearly if they are hissing/biting their "just not that into you". any other hints that a chameleon is under stress?

"I have seen my 'friendly' panther walk on my hand in an attempt to get past it to a different spot. When I moved my hand he freaked out." is what pssh said.

I was using that as an indirect answer to my "Maybe he thinks I'm just an object in his enclosure (like a branch or something)." statement.

Signs might include darkening, frantic walking/running, jumping, puffing up, hissing, and my guys squeeze extra hard when they are stressed out on my hand. The panther I was talking about is very gentle and almost never uses his claws on me unless he is walking vertically or if he wants to get off of me.

Not so far from you. This show in Pomona, is about a little over an hour from us. Can't wait to go and walk around and check out all the vendors and chat and hang out...

I think Pomona is a little far for him. You could probably catch a flight from Canada to the show.

Back
Top Bottom