Handling Question

Yessabub

Established Member
is it alright to hold my 6 month old cham 1 time a day hes getting better and better with it now that he trusts me

It's a judgement call. If your cham is not getting stressed out and enjoys handling, fine. It more or less depends on the chameleon. Many would say no handling, others here handle on a regular basis. Do what your instincts tell you, only you know your individual cham. Peace.

I wouldn't pull him out of his cage each day if he resists you. Some chams don't mind. some don't mind at first. some just hate it.

as said above, its your call. But I would just say to keep the handling to a min. It does stress them out and they do not do well stressed. Chams also go into 'relax' mode when being handled. They know you are bigger and they aren't on home terf so they just go with the flow. This I think makes people think 'oh hes OK now that hes out of the cage'

My chams used to climb out onto me when I opened the cage. But this is when I was sunning them every single day after work. They knew that me opening the cage meant sun light. Or at least that is what I gather..... They don't come out so easily anymore. Well actually Jake does, but that is because he is just trying to rip my face off.

You'll find there are quite a few very strong opinions on this forum on either side of the question. Unfortunately, what many people perceive as "friendly" behaviour just isnt. Some chameleons do tolerate handling relatively well, many (most?) however find it "stressfull" and some react with great aggression, others react to the stress with passivity. In the end, its totally up to you as to how much or how little you handle the chameleon.
For me, I handle minimally. There's no benefit to the chameleon and yet the possibility of harm, so therefore no reason to do it, in my opinion. If I wanted a pet I could hold and play with, chameleon isnt the one I'd pick. That said, I have one that will often use me as a vehicle to leave his cage and get to a particular plant, which occassionally also gets taken outside for a short time. All I have to do it open the cage. If he chooses to come out, he walks onto me (usually onto the top of my head, since I'm fairly short and he's above me most of the time). Though none of them are what I'd call aggressive or behave overtly fearful of me, I dont remove the others from their cages except for breeding, major cage cleaning, vet and such.

Last edited:
All of my chameleons are tame.
And, I can assure you I have not done any handling regiment other than the necessary handling for cage cleaning, sunning, and annual checkup with the vet.

The constant feeding, misting, and so on are enough.
Imo, even the most clueless chameleon will sooner or later associate you with positive event. They will no longer threatened by you.

when you do take him out, make sure theres something good in it for him and make him comfortable. for example, i take my girl out and i offer her a nice juicy waxworm for a treat so she will associate being fed when shes taken out. sometimes i put her in a ficus tree with an extra light so she stays warm which she loves (and thatll come in handy when you need to clean his cage :) just keep an eye on him if he decides to get adventurous!)
and also start with smaller time increments when you take him out and if he appears to get stressed or upset, let him back inside.

Back
Top Bottom