Handling Help

Samuel8299

I have a 4 m/o female veiled. I have been taming her and been very calm around her to the point where she lets me come very close to her. I want to start holding her to get her used to me but I don't know how to get her off the vine without hurting her. I slowly move my hand under her and wait for her to move on but after a few minutes of failed attempts she walks off and ignores me.

Not related to handling but do you know that female veileds can lay eggs without having mated?
There should be a place in her cage for her to dig to lay them at all times.

Re handling...Move your hand slowly under her chin and nudge her from behind so she will move forward onto your hand. Or...take a branch and hold the end ofmit under her chin and nudge her from behind.

Thanks :) (Im in the process of making the nest box (Wondering do you think dragon strand Nestbox will work with the Reptibreeze XL?)

I just use an opaque Tupperware typt container that's at least 12" deep x12" x 8" filled with spwashed playsand that is moist enough to hold a tunnel. Bigger is better.

Could I use a bioactive setup instead of the sand? The Substrate retains all burrows, and will add some natural cleaning :)?

What ever you use has to be deep enough and hold a tunnel and the chameleon has to lime it or she won't lay her eggs and will likely die eggbound if she can't.

Not related to handling but do you know that female veileds can lay eggs without having mated?

Re handling...Move your hand slowly under her chin and nudge her from behind so she will move forward onto your hand. Or...take a branch and hold the end ofmit under her chin and nudge her from behind.
I have a 4 m/o female veiled. I have been taming her and been very calm around her to the point where she lets me come very close to her. I want to start holding her to get her used to me but I don't know how to get her off the vine without hurting her. I slowly move my hand under her and wait for her to move on but after a few minutes of failed attempts she walks off and ignores me.
Hi, when I got mine ...a Panther I was l little scared of him.yes I was afraid he would bite. I called Kammerflage and asked Briana. If I missed the window of opportunity since I had him awhile. She laughed and said oh not at all. After that I just moved my hand under him and took him out of the cage. I didn't let him climb up my arm because I was afraid he would get on my back and I wouldn't be able to reach him.LOL anyway now I hold him 2or 3 times a day. He has a Hibiscus tree in the house and so I put him in the tree a few times a day he loves it. You said you put your hand under her and she walks off.
The next time she walks on your hand move your hand out the cage. In time she'll want to come out. Have fun these little guys are great!

Hi, when I got mine ...a Panther I was l little scared of him.yes I was afraid he would bite. I called Kammerflage and asked Briana. If I missed the window of opportunity since I had him awhile. She laughed and said oh not at all. After that I just moved my hand under him and took him out of the cage. I didn't let him climb up my arm because I was afraid he would get on my back and I wouldn't be able to reach him.LOL anyway now I hold him 2or 3 times a day. He has a Hibiscus tree in the house and so I put him in the tree a few times a day he loves it. You said you put your hand under her and she walks off.
The next time she walks on your hand move your hand out the cage. In time she'll want to come out. Have fun these little guys are great!
Thank you!! :)

um... I tried that very slowly. She didn't seem to mind until the second hand came in... she started hissing like crazy and wouldn't move...

I find handling is a day to day thing, some days my panther will walk right on to my hand other days he is like "no thank you" 4 months is still pretty young and everything is scary and big to them. It is great she lets you get close to her that is a great start, she just may not be ready to be held quite yet:)

I find handling is a day to day thing, some days my panther will walk right on to my hand other days he is like "no thank you" 4 months is still pretty young and everything is scary and big to them. It is great she lets you get close to her that is a great start, she just may not be ready to be held quite yet:)
Try next time she's on your hand don't put your other hand in,just bring your hand out. If that works than you can go back and forth letting her go to both hands.

Back
Top Bottom