handling baby chem

maduni3394

i have had my chameleon for 2 weeks and want to know when should i start holding him..... he started hissing Monday and i dont want him to be mean when he is older....trying to stop the habit before it gets bad

i have had my chameleon for 2 weeks and want to know when should i start holding him..... he started hissing Monday and i dont want him to be mean when he is older....trying to stop the habit before it gets bad
Just because it has bin two weeks doesn't mean that your chameleon is ready to be held. it may take a lot longer than two weeks and many hours working with him.

To get all my new chameleons used to me i start off my hand feeding or cup feeding them so they know my hand brings them good things not try to kill them. i also spend large amounts of time near my chameleons cage with the door open so he gets used to me being around him.

after a few weeks of this i start to present my arm and hand in his cage close to him and around him to see if he shows hostility i.e. hissing and darker colors or puffing up if they don't i use food like crickets or horn worms on my arm to get them to walk on my hands and arms, allowing them to make the fist step in my holding them making sure they are not stressed at all the whole time to make sure they know 100 % i'm not trying to hurt them.

its a long process but pays off greatly and will be worth it in the end. NEVER force your out of the cage just to hold them because they will remember it and see you as a preditor

Back
Top Bottom