Handling and colors...

perca05

So...I keep reading that when a cham turns dark, he is stressing out. If they don't change color, and remain bright green, does that mean they are not stressed by the situation? I ask as I took out my veiled baby just to handle him...he sat on my finger. He never changed color and just stayed put. Does this mean he was ok with the whole event?

Thanks!
Caroline

So...I keep reading that when a cham turns dark, he is stressing out. If they don't change color, and remain bright green, does that mean they are not stressed by the situation? I ask as I took out my veiled baby just to handle him...he sat on my finger. He never changed color and just stayed put. Does this mean he was ok with the whole event?

Thanks!
Caroline

It's not quite as simple as that and varies depending on what species you have. Babies don't have the color range they will when adult. When a cham is relaxed and not stimulated by you or activity their colors are fairly quiet...no dark outlines on normal markings, not too dark or too bright and not changing rapidly. When a cham is mildly excited (such as when being held on your hand or moving around a lot, hunting) its colors will get brighter with more contrast in the markings. When a cham is COLD it can turn very dark, but they usually do this on one side that happens to be exposed to heat. A cham that is extremely stressed, very sick, or very chilled can be dark all over. You can distinguish between these by other behaviors that are going along with the color change. A pissed very stressed cham will probably also be inflating with air, gaping and hissing, running quickly away from you. A very sick cham won't be moving, eating, drinking, or reacting to light or heat. A very cold cham will be getting as close to heat as it can.

Does that help or just confuse you more? :)

Well I have not seen any colors you mentioned, and he is active...so I guess I will take it that he's ok with his surroundings and such.

thank you for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom