Hand feeding, yes or no?

Sure, if they will let you. It is a good way to get your chameleon to trust you that you are not some big bad thing that is gonna eat them up! I have hand fed mine right from the start. He is very tame, but not saying that hand feedinig tames a chameleon but I think it helps them to be less scared of you.

There are pros and cons.

There is a potential for injury (for example if your finger moves at the wrong moment) and bacteria transmission in hand-feeding. It might also cause the chameleon to associate your fingers with food, to the extent that it tries to bite or shoot your fingernails, etc.

On the other hand, it can help a positive association with you, rather than seeing you as a big frightening predator. It also gives some people a sense of connection to the animal, and/or a "cool" factor.

I personally rarely hand feed. I dont see sufficient benefit, and the animals eat fine without my fingers in there.

Agreed!

Yes, there are pro's and Con's as the others who posted have mentioned. Plus, there is the fact that some Chameleons will hand feed and others won't. I have 2 Panthers both the same age... one will hand feed the other will not.

Back
Top Bottom