Hammy Gets a CT Scan

jannb

Chameleon Enthusiast
My chameleon Hammy has been showing RI symptoms for about 10 months. He has been to the vets many times for X-rays, bloodwork and other test ordered by his vet. Finally, early Sunday morning March the 10th Hammy was able to get a CT scan at our local human hospital. They often do scans on the sea turtles and dolphins but this was their first chameleon. They all loved Hammy and he was such a good boy. Many scans and views were made and the first one attached shows his problem. It appears that he has a stricture in his trachea. See green arrow. The vet had suspected this. His vet says the rest of his lungs look great and normal. Unfortunately, he doesn’t think there is anything we can do for this since he is so small.

Hammy’s vet thinks the stricture is like scar tissue and not bone. He says it’s not likely to be hereditary and most likely developed after birth. The vet says there’s no way to know the cause. The vet says Hammy can live a long and normal life as long as it does not progress. Right now Hammy’s on a very low dose of Prednisone every other day. We are planning to wean him down to an even lower dose and I hope eventually totally off the Prednisone.

I added a few additional scans that were 3D I though you might find interesting.

8A2F7991-7133-4D25-98F2-7101A0DE651A.png
0360082E-75A3-4128-97CF-CDA7569CDF97.png
FAB8ED8D-568F-4C43-9298-EC8C30CF7246.png
0C5E17D7-047B-479C-B5FE-84C8D79E15EE.png
A9A76585-F56D-467A-B6FA-CA7290CFACEF.jpeg
04E3EF22-8EDA-42C5-8B52-AEAE01C72EE8.jpeg
D773A84F-9D9C-4B36-8BFD-9CC192A330F5.jpeg
90FCDBD4-6EE3-4AC2-82D9-E35673CA79E5.jpeg
D0088759-102D-46C2-8C5E-CE2F5052D259.jpeg

Holy $#!#!!!!! That is the coolest CT Ive ever seen. Thanks for sharing your story. Im sorry to hear about the stricture but if you can get hin to chill out for a CT scan, I am confident you can keep him into his elder years! Wow!

Wow thank you for sharing! I am so happy to hear that Hammy is ok and that the Vet says he can live a long healthy life with this. These are so fascinating to see Jann!

Holy $#!#!!!!! That is the coolest CT Ive ever seen. Thanks for sharing your story. Im sorry to hear about the stricture but if you can get hin to chill out for a CT scan, I am confident you can keep him into his elder years! Wow!

Thank you! That’s one reason I feel it’s important to socialize them some, so when they have to go to the vets or have test, they want freak out.

Amazing! I would have never thought to perform a CT without the animal under general anesthesia... did Hammy had some form of sedation on board?

Also, would you mind terribly if I shared these images with my vet? I think she'd get a kick out of it!

Amazing! I would have never thought to perform a CT without the animal under general anesthesia... did Hammy had some form of sedation on board?

Also, would you mind terribly if I shared these images with my vet? I think she'd get a kick out of it!

Hammy did not have any form of sedation. We just took the Branch I use on the scales to weight them once a week and he’s use to sitting on that.

I don’t mind at all if you share them with your vet.

Hammy did not have any form of sedation. We just took the Branch I use on the scales to weight them once a week and he’s use to sitting on that.

I don’t mind at all if you share them with your vet.

No kidding! Awesome job!! I'll have to perch train my boy. (y)

Stricture...a scarred lung? Very cool pictures (scan photos)!! I'm glad to see people care about their chams!!

Back
Top Bottom