HALP! silkworm questions

zombiepixel

1. I bought 2 cups of silkworms from Mulberry Farms i've come to realize that it's way more than I need. What do I do with all of these growing silkworms? can I keep them from growing so fast?

2. I ran out of food because it's true, they only eat, poop, and mate. I'm going to buy some premade chow from mulberry but I'm wondering if I should spring for 2lbs or is that overkill? I probably will house around 50-75 silkies at one time. I don't want it to be too much that it exceeds it's shelf life but I don't want to run out in a week either.

3. Right now they are my staple feeder. Trogdor my 8mo male veiled loves them. Right now I give him around 4-5 silkies around 1-1.5" in length, every other day and maybe 1 or 2 on between days. is this a good number? Can I give him more?

that's all I can think of right now.

Get the uncooked chow, and cook it up as you need it. That way it will last longer in case you dont need it all right away.

In the short term, keep the silkies cool (not cold) and give them the occassional dandelion leaf to eat.

What are you using in addition to the silkies as feeders? You dont want to use all silkies.

ur feeding a good amount...no worries...but they will coocon after 30days...so let them coocon and after a while they turn into moths wich are edible...so wait a while and give him some fun fill moths to try on for size.

also id go with the 2 pound option....once the bags open it last 6 to 8 months refridgertaed. plenty of time if ur feeding these little creatures daily to everyother day.

Thanks guys,

I bought the premade, but i'll get the powdered next time. What does a dandelion leaf do?

What are you using in addition to the silkies as feeders? You dont want to use all silkies.

Right now they are the staple a long with the supplemented vitamins. I still have crickets that I give here and there, but I really can't stand crickets and really don't want to rely on them as heavy as I used to.

It's cheaper to buy eggs and dry chow, It take a little longer, but you save some money and you have eggs whenever. Just Grab some from the fridge and let them hatch. Or you can buy many silkies and dry chow if you dont mind cooking it. You just need a clean plastic box to let them grow up in.

Back
Top Bottom