Habitat deep cleaning questions..

My guess is that he just reiterated what's on the label (see my comment above about purveyors).
In going to the mfrs. site (I wasn't aware Dow & DuPont had merged?) I tried getting to consumer safety information. I got only so far (to a boilerplate PDF). On the PDF was a reference to:

Going to that site was a fruitless exercise in circular links, which frankly does not inspire confidence. I could find no such Product Safety Assessment.

Digging further, I did find a PDF of the SAFETY DATA SHEET for Pond & Stone.
GREAT STUFFâ—¢ Insulating Foam Sealants - SDS - BuildSite
Nineteen pages of data that begins with:

Think about that.

The top of page 2 starts with:

After that, things get scary.

Like I said, it's up to you. Be safe—be well.
Those are all warnings for while using/applying product. Not for once it’s set. Called Dow/Dupont talked to their people about exposure. They said once it’s set if your using the pond & stone it is safe. The pond & stone is safe for fish and plants. Once it’s cured. You still must be careful while applying however and product needs to be dry all the way. The help on this forum is outstanding. Thank you so much for looking into it.

IME over the years with many reptile enclosures, deep cleaning was rarely needed unless disease, infestation, or death.

Alcohol, vinegar, peroxide should do for most things. Some use veterinary cleaners or disinfectants like f10. Personally, I'd avoid things like ammonia or bleach because they can take a longer time to air out. Just be aware some chemicals may react with PVC enclosures—read labels and look up what you're using on what.

There are also the enzyme cleaners like Nature's Miracle.
F10 veterinary disinfectant is suitable for many veterinary and animal husbandry applications. It is broad-spectrum and effective against viruses, bacteria, fungi, and spores

F10 veterinary disinfectant is suitable for many veterinary and animal husbandry applications. It is broad-spectrum and effective against viruses, bacteria, fungi, and spores
This thread is over a year old, and any feedback now probably doesn’t matter.

It’s best to check the date of the last post on threads if you’re not using the most recent posts. You can also see that the last time the OP was active was in October.

Never deep cleaned, bioactive. I got things to do, I'm not cleaning out a cage all day lol. No reason for that, but if it helps people sleep...
+1 here.

Every week or two when they are outside I do the following:

Remove tongue spots
Trim plants/dead leaves if needed
Clean out the bottom from poops (usually just one or two) and check the leaves for any others
Wipe down larger leaves of shed, etc. and for plant health
Deep water certain plants
Wet vac out the drainage tray

With this maintenance between the daily sprayings to remove organic matter and the plants cleaning the air I don't worry too much about bacteria becoming a problem.

The only really nasty part is the drainage tray which is essentially toilet water, but the cham has no access to that.

We are lucky because unlike other lizards/pets, our chams do not walk through the poo and spread it around.

+1 here.

Every week or two when they are outside I do the following:

Remove tongue spots
Trim plants/dead leaves if needed
Clean out the bottom from poops (usually just one or two) and check the leaves for any others
Wipe down larger leaves of shed, etc. and for plant health
Deep water certain plants
Wet vac out the drainage tray

With this maintenance between the daily sprayings to remove organic matter and the plants cleaning the air I don't worry too much about bacteria becoming a problem.

The only really nasty part is the drainage tray which is essentially toilet water, but the cham has no access to that.

We are lucky because unlike other lizards/pets, our chams do not walk through the poo and spread it around.
Old thread

Back
Top Bottom