Gutloading questions

Just wanting to know how often you guys switch your gutloading mix out for a fresh mix. After a day? 2 days? Also, I notice the supers and crickets don't seem to take much interest in the mixes after the first few hours. They'll eat a lot for like an hour or two, and then lose complete interest, even the next day. Anything I can do to fix this? Thanks

I completely switch out my gutloading mix every ~2-3 days, but like Brody said as long as you refresh it before mold pops up it should be good to go.

I find my cricket experience is similar to yours - they're all over the fresh stuff for a couple hours, and then they slow down. I've been putting a couple drops of water on my wet gutload mixture once or twice a day (including bugburger) and mixing it around a little to keep it moist. The crickets have been much more interested in it since I started doing that! They also seem to like when I mush their food into more of a paste/run it through a food processor. Fussy bugs!

Why no Fluker s? What’s the deal ?

Take a look at this thread. Direct quote from the forum veterinarian: "Those orange cubes are good for hydration and that's about it as far as gutloading goes. The cubes are designed to keep crickets alive, not to be a wholesome gutload for your reptile's sake or they would be much more expensive. While it does have some nutrients, they are a very low ratio to the gelatin part (or whatever they're made of) of the cube, so you're only getting a tiny bit of what you need. They are not a complete diet and should definitely be supplemented with fresh fruits and veggies as well as a regular dusting schedule"

Hope that clears up any questions! :)

~Amanda

Yeah and sometimes the crickets choose just to eat the flukers over the actual gutloading food You put in. So then they’re not getting the nutrients they need, thus your Cham isn’t getting the nutrients he needs.

Helpful for gutloading... If you are wanting to do something besides fresh veg and fruit then Repashy Bug burger, Cricket crack or Arcadia Earth pro Insect fuel are all good. If you feed the last two dry then you do have to provide a water source.
Gutloading 101.jpeg

Take a look at this thread. Direct quote from the forum veterinarian: "Those orange cubes are good for hydration and that's about it as far as gutloading goes. The cubes are designed to keep crickets alive, not to be a wholesome gutload for your reptile's sake or they would be much more expensive. While it does have some nutrients, they are a very low ratio to the gelatin part (or whatever they're made of) of the cube, so you're only getting a tiny bit of what you need. They are not a complete diet and should definitely be supplemented with fresh fruits and veggies as well as a regular dusting schedule"

Hope that clears up any questions! :)

~Amanda
Thanks what are your favorite gut loaders?

This was good to read. I was wondering this about Arcadia Insect Fuel too. I keep it dry but wondered if it should be changed. Think I need to put a lot less in, even though its only about a teaspoon.
I use Spring/Fresh Greens and sweet potato at the moment. I'm in the UK and some of the other stuff is hard to find. That's mainly for locusts and a fat bunch of superworms I'm feeding that my panther won't eat!

This was good to read. I was wondering this about Arcadia Insect Fuel too. I keep it dry but wondered if it should be changed. Think I need to put a lot less in, even though its only about a teaspoon.
I use Spring/Fresh Greens and sweet potato at the moment. I'm in the UK and some of the other stuff is hard to find. That's mainly for locusts and a fat bunch of superworms I'm feeding that my panther won't eat!
Do you cook the sweet potatoes?

A super helpful visual:

1E15D59C-22DD-46BD-9C25-6667EE5A6928.jpeg.jpg

I usually boil sweet potatoes and yams so that I can mash them, but I believe they can be fed raw as a gutload. Some of the firmer veggies (carrots, parsnips) I'll grate up so they're more manageable for the feeders. And my birds like it that way anyway haha!

Back
Top Bottom