gut loading?

swick

:confused: I have my first cham coming home in about a week, and want to get his crickets gutloaded. After surfing around here I am scared I will feed the crickets something that will kill my baby. So what should I gut load them with? What should I never, ever use?

You can use a wide assortment of greens such as dandelions, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, kale, etc. And veggies such as carrots, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc.

Hey there,

there was a great thread just a day or two ago about what not to gut-load with: https://www.chameleonforums.com/things-you-cannot-gut-load-your-feeders-112001/

Otherwise there is a fantastic blog by Sandrachameleon, where you can find all the necessary info about feeder nutrition, gut-loading, supplements and much more! You can find it here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/nutritional-information/

I would in particular advise to start with this post: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html

Nice reading ;)

JUlija

Thanks for the help guys. I am excited and nervous at the same time about getting my hands on my new little guy. I did see the thread the other day about the tomatos and I had no idea that some foods if fed to the cricket could hurt my guy. The closer the time gets for him to arrive the less and less I think I know.

Thanks for the help guys. I am excited and nervous at the same time about getting my hands on my new little guy. I did see the thread the other day about the tomatos and I had no idea that some foods if fed to the cricket could hurt my guy. The closer the time gets for him to arrive the less and less I think I know.

Well, you seem to be on the right track, considering that you found this place ;) so no worries - it will all go just fine, as long as you follow the care-sheet provided here on the forums. What kind of cham is it that you're getting bthw?

In regards to tomatoes - I would take it with a grain of salt, I have not personally read anything bad about tomato fruit, but it is true that you should not use tomato leaves for gut-loading :) In that thread I was mainly relating to the post by Sandrachameleon - it pretty much covers the main things to avoid in gut-load:

Limit your use of grains, beans, and other items higher in phosphorous than calcium (a little can be very good, a lot is not unless you compensate to fix the ratio). Good grain choices are stabalized rice bran and crushed whole barley.
Limit use of broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, beet leaves, parsley, cassava, onion, watercress, kale, collard greens, spinach, swiss chard, Soy/edamame , bran, buckwheat, almonds, rhubarb, sesame seeds, pine nuts, apricot, figs, kiwi (anything high in phytates/Phytic acid, Oxilates/ Oxalic Acid, Goitrogens). Some is fine, possibly beneficial. Just not as a regular item.

Avoid dog food, cat food, fish food, and other prepared foods that are heavy sources of animal protien and/or fat and may provide excessive preformed vitamin A and also D.

Anything poisonous like the leaves of nightshade plants (tomato leaves included), or rhubarb leaves.

I am getting a 'true blue' nosey be. :p I ordered him and a whole set up from screameleons. He is just a babe, he was born on February 20. I should get the set up any day now and once I call them and let them know I am ready they will overnight him to me. So I it will be ok to feed the crickets some fruits like peaches then? I did lots of research last night after I asked the question. It is good to have found a site with experienced owners to talk to.

Back
Top Bottom