Gular edema

simca357

Hey guyss one of my female chams have gular edema. Dusted plain calcium every feeding and with d3 every 2 weeks. Any idea what causes this and treatments? Thankss!!

20161222_135242.jpg

Attachments

• 20161222_135215.jpg
    20161222_135215.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 125
I have seen this from issues with supplementation, especially linked to vitamin A. Dehydration could also be a culprit from what I've seen. Some females will develop this when gravid. How old is your little girl? Does she have a source of pre-formed vitamin A? What type of gutload do your feeders get?

I have seen this from issues with supplementation, especially linked to vitamin A. Dehydration could also be a culprit from what I've seen. Some females will develop this when gravid. How old is your little girl? Does she have a source of pre-formed vitamin A? What type of gutload do your feeders get?

I supplement my chams with calcium without d3 everyday and vitamins with d3 every 14th and 28th. By her looks is she? cause I dont really know how "plump" eyes look like but I'm sure her urates are very white. She is between 8 months old. In dont have really much access to vegetables as much as you guys so my gutload cycle is potato-squash-moringa and carrots once a week.

Last edited:
There are lots of reasons for gular edema. I haven't found Vitamin A to cause a problem but I suspect synthetic D is a problem. I think the cricket farms feed something to their crickets that builds up in the crickets' bodies that causes a problem with some species. I've found certain cricket shipments will cause edema in my collection of quads and graciliors and it will be immediate.

Major organ failure will cause edema. Also, a protein deficient animal will develop edema. A specific protein is needed to keep the blood fluids inside the blood vessels, so if an animal is protein deficient, lymph fluid will leak out of the blood vessels into the spaces between the cells (edema). Liver and kidneys are involved in protein metabolism.

It's a complex problem.

There are lots of reasons for gular edema. I haven't found Vitamin A to cause a problem but I suspect synthetic D is a problem. I think the cricket farms feed something to their crickets that builds up in the crickets' bodies that causes a problem with some species. I've found certain cricket shipments will cause edema in my collection of quads and graciliors and it will be immediate.

Major organ failure will cause edema. Also, a protein deficient animal will develop edema. A specific protein is needed to keep the blood fluids inside the blood vessels, so if an animal is protein deficient, lymph fluid will leak out of the blood vessels into the spaces between the cells (edema). Liver and kidneys are involved in protein metabolism.

It's a complex problem.

I will be leaning on the organ failures because I have always bred my feeders from the day I started keeping reptiles. Any advice about being protein deficient? should I feed more? Thanks for your response

Back
Top Bottom