Gular Edema or Flexed Hyoid Bone?

The squeak noise alerts me to the fact that Waldo needs the antibiotics. A chameleon weill rollercoaster, but it's really a downhill experience at this point. If you get Baytrill, you can do some of the doses orally mixed in with MRP... I'll send you some asap if you allow me to, with instructions. shots are not that difficult, but on days that you feel you just can't do it, you will be able to give an oral dose. I'm thinking Dr. Greek will send you oral but it must be drawn out from the vial with a needle possibly. You then pull the needle off and shoot it into his mouth.
Also, I have faith in you that you can do whatever it takes to put you cham on track again. I have faith that you will surprise yourself. Give it a go and keep your focus.

The squeak noise alerts me to the fact that Waldo needs the antibiotics. A chameleon weill rollercoaster, but it's really a downhill experience at this point. If you get Baytrill, you can do some of the doses orally mixed in with MRP... I'll send you some asap if you allow me to, with instructions. shots are not that difficult, but on days that you feel you just can't do it, you will be able to give an oral dose. I'm thinking Dr. Greek will send you oral but it must be drawn out from the vial with a needle possibly. You then pull the needle off and shoot it into his mouth.
Also, I have faith in you that you can do whatever it takes to put you cham on track again. I have faith that you will surprise yourself. Give it a go and keep your focus.

Thank you :D. Dr. Tom Greek has sent me some medicine. I forgot what he sent me and it's not here yet, but it should be here tomorrow. Also, what is MRP?

MRP is meal replacement at it's best for crested geckos. I compared it with the stuff you get from the vet and the MRP was way better suited for arboreals. Since I've been feeding it to Fractal, he has better color and sheen. Just healthier looking. It's great for those who don't or won't eat live insects for whatever reason. And he likes it! But then I do jazz it up with meat flavored liquid vitamins. Probably overkill, but .. he likes it! :D

MRP is meal replacement at it's best for crested geckos. I compared it with the stuff you get from the vet and the MRP was way better suited for arboreals. Since I've been feeding it to Fractal, he has better color and sheen. Just healthier looking. It's great for those who don't or won't eat live insects for whatever reason. And he likes it! But then I do jazz it up with meat flavored liquid vitamins. Probably overkill, but .. he likes it! :D

Well, I don't think he quite needs that as he still eats.

Anyways, I received baytril from the vet today, and Waldo got his first treatment. He was given one drop orally, and he swallowed it and then proceeded by eating a few crickets from my hand.

His eye is also looking a little bit better, still not 100 percent yet though.

Keep doing what your doing!!! Your doing everything correctly. My little guy gave me a huge scare when he developed a bilateral eye infection. All the headaches and sleepless nights paid off, as now he is moving around, eating and not blind!!!! Don't give up, and cudous to you for coming to the right place for help!! Best of Luck!

Okay so I've run into some problems. I found mites in waldos cage that most likely came from the organic soil. To solve this I put about 2 inches of compacted play sand on top of the soil and gave his cage a really good clean. The sand acts as a barrier, it becomes compacted from water at every watering and doesn't allow air pockets thus not allowing the bugs to live in it. So, that problem has been solved.

Another problem, I cannot for the life of me get Waldo angry enough to gape or hiss at me allowing me to give him his medicine. Is there an alternative way to give him the medicine orally? Could I inject it into a cricket and immediately feed him the cricket? Could i put a drop on top of the cricket then immediately feed him the cricket?

Time for good news:

Waldo's color has improved. His eye is steadily improving. He seems less sick, I am not hearing popping noises, nor do I see spit bubbles or mucus. He has become much calmer and readily hand feeds. I even brought a cricket and held it near a plant he was on and he came running to me and zapped up the cricket whereas he usually runs away from me, cricket or not.

Try getting the chameleon to drink and then ease the meds in while the mouth is opening and closing. If you bring the syringe up slowly from below its less likely to notice its approach.

Try getting the chameleon to drink and then ease the meds in while the mouth is opening and closing. If you bring the syringe up slowly from below its less likely to notice its approach.

Thank you, I will have to try that. But, do you know if i could just inject some in the cricket and then feed that? I feel it would be less stressful for him, and easier for me as he readily eats crickets from my hand.

Waldo ate a cricket today and when he was chewing on it, he started shaking his head like a dog trying to kill its prey and then he spit the cricket out. Is this normal? Do you think maybe the cricket bit him or something? Maybe it was because I haven't been removing the legs :confused:.

Either way, I will now start removing the big back jumping legs from all crickets I feed him.

Any enlightenment on why he shook his head and then spit the cricket out would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Maybe the cricket was too big.

It was a bit bigger than usual, but it was within the general rule of no wider than the space of the eyes, and no longer than the head. But, I will assume that it was indeed a bit too big for him as he just ate 3 more with no problems afterwards that were a little bit smaller and had the legs pinched off.

I'll just play it safer from now on by pinching the legs off and if I have to ask myself if it's too big, just assume that it is.

Thanks,
Jake

Thank you, I will have to try that. But, do you know if i could just inject some in the cricket and then feed that? I feel it would be less stressful for him, and easier for me as he readily eats crickets from my hand.
the 1 ml syringe and ultra fine needle that comes with reptaid , works great for injecting crickets, just fridge the cricks for 5 min and inject their abdomen from the top . in an adult crick you can inject up to .05 ml (about 1/20th ml )or about 3 drops without killing the crick or having it leak out (OR .025ML OR ABOUT A DROP AND A HALF FOR A MED CRICK) , just be careful not to get startled (if the crick tries to jump) and inject your self in the finger like i did (not recomended)

the 1 ml syringe and ultra fine needle that comes with reptaid , works great for injecting crickets, just fridge the cricks for 5 min and inject their abdomen from the top . in an adult crick you can inject up to .05 ml (about 1/20th ml )or about 3 drops without killing the crick or having it leak out (OR .025ML OR ABOUT A DROP AND A HALF FOR A MED CRICK) , just be careful not to get startled (if the crick tries to jump) and inject your self in the finger like i did (not recomended)

If I do try this, I will definately try to remember not to inject myself with baytril :rolleyes::p.

On a more serious note, thank you for the information, it will definitely come in handy if I do decide to go this route, but I think I have found a good method of getting him to take his meds.

The liquid baytril turned a brownish color. Does this mean that it has gone bad?

If anybody knows the answer, I would appreciate it. I would like to know if I should continue and give him his dose today or skip it and buy more.

The liquid baytril turned a brownish color. Does this mean that it has gone bad?

If anybody knows the answer, I would appreciate it. I would like to know if I should continue and give him his dose today or skip it and buy more.

Bump, does anybody know?

Back
Top Bottom