Growth Issue??

PabloTheCham

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have had my cham since february, and he was 3-4 months. It is now September, which makes him more then a year old. However his casque has not started growing and he is still quite small compared to some other males i have seen. I wouldn't worry too much if he had his adult casque, I would just think he is a small guy, but his casque is still small. Is it possible he is just a late bloomer, or is there an underlying issue?

I have had my cham since february, and he was 3-4 months. It is now September, which makes him more then a year old. However his casque has not started growing and he is still quite small compared to some other males i have seen. I wouldn't worry too much if he had his adult casque, I would just think he is a small guy, but his casque is still small. Is it possible he is just a late bloomer, or is there an underlying issue?
photos? how long is he from snout to vent?

do you have pics ? with size comparison ?
Sure!
7707C276-854B-4952-896B-425A76A4E1ED.jpeg
DD73A6A1-705B-4085-98A9-3F378ED419A6.jpeg

They are current. I measured weight using a scale.
Well if he is in fact 7.5 inches nose to vent and hitting 184 grams then that would indicate that for his length he is too heavy. Which was why I was hoping to see pics of his casque. You will be able to tell from the fat pads in the cheeks too. If they are squishy then he is holding fat there. The issue is the fat goes to the casque and the cheeks last after it has filled the body cavity. So by the time they start showing signs where we can see them they are already overweight.

My boy is 8 inch and 152 grams now and is considered to be 25 or so grams overweight...

Well if he is in fact 7.5 inches nose to vent and hitting 184 grams then that would indicate that for his length he is too heavy. Which was why I was hoping to see pics of his casque. You will be able to tell from the fat pads in the cheeks too. If they are squishy then he is holding fat there. The issue is the fat goes to the casque and the cheeks last after it has filled the body cavity. So by the time they start showing signs where we can see them they are already overweight.

My boy is 8 inch and 152 grams now and is considered to be 25 or so grams overweight...
Wow! I can't imagine what mine would look like if he lost 50 grams... He already looks skinny to me?

Well... I'll post a pic of him with a ruler and on the scale. It will take some time though... he might not have his adult body, but he is pissy as can be.
Just make sure if your subtracting the weight of whatever stand you use to put him on the scale. ;) I am not saying I don't believe you about length.

Back
Top Bottom