Growing fast

Marc10edora

Avid Member
I just got my juvenile female veiled chameleon last week and I'm surprised of how fast she is growing. Since I had her she grew 1/3 of an inch. I can't wait til she gets big enough to eat roaches and wax worms. Right now she is eating medium sized crickets and mealworms. It also looks like she is getting ready to shed, since there are specs of dead skin starting to emerge. I'll post some picks once I get a camera. Is there anything I need to know before she starts her shed? Like, is there anything I have to prep for?

no just make sure the humidity is stable... and dont mist dirrectly, it might cause the old skin to stick with the new skin... and thats it. lol.. u seem to be doing a good job.

I have found that the "skin sticking" problem happens more if they are misted during the shed but if you suspect they are going to shed soon heavy mistings have been (in my experience) extremely beneficial to a successful shed.
I soak Kitty several times with quite warm misting leading up to a shed and he seems now to have no problems with it.
Last 2 or 3 have taken less than 2 hours to complete.
After the skin starts to peel though, I definetely leave him dry because the misting can cause the skin to stick.

-Brad

I've had Samael for about 1 1/2 - 2 months now and he was 4-5month old when I got him (although I think he may have been a little older)
He's shed twice now, so I usually don't mist around him when he starts. Since he's usually got 100% of it off within the same day he starts, I got back to the regular twice a day misting.
Veiled are a breed that can deal without all the humidity all the time cause they can store water in their casque kinda like a camel. Always watch what the casque is like. If it looks Ethiopian like, they may not be getting enough humidity or water.

The casque is primarily used for fat storage. I guess they could store some water up there, I can not really say I have heard that before.

There is a theory that the casque is a large water collecting "appendage" and that the reason for it's existance is just that.
When rain falls or dew collects on it, gravity and the exterior ridges direct the water down to the mouth.
I actually see this happen whenever I mist.

-Brad

The hump on a camel is fat for nourishment if the desert does not provide any food whatsoever not water. The water is actually stored in the bloodstream.

There is a theory that the casque is a large water collecting "appendage" and that the reason for it's existance is just that.
When rain falls or dew collects on it, gravity and the exterior ridges direct the water down to the mouth.
Makes sense to me. :)

dsc2195xhn1.jpg

(btw, was checking for bone solidity, checked out good.)

-Brad

Yes...My cham does this too. I'll mist her and she'll be moving her mouth like she's gulping a water drop without drinking a droplet from a tree or anything.

Back
Top Bottom