Growing collard greens and Swiss chard

We took little lovely Loretta outside today and showed her the plants I've been growing for her. She immediately took a taste of the collard greens! Loretta loves collard greens but not really any other greens. We've tried mustard greens, parsley, turnip greens and now Swiss chard but she only likes..sorry LOVES collard greens. Like her southern mama.
I didn't get an actual picture of her trying to eat the baby collard greens, but the picture with my finger accidentally in it shows her about to nom the baby plants.
20180521_150823.jpg
20180521_150829.jpg
20180521_150837.jpg
20180521_150844.jpg
20180521_150931.jpg
20180521_151132.jpg
20180521_151605.jpg

Where are you located and do you mind if I ask what type of collard green are you growing? I thought collards were a cool weather crop and would bolt in the summer, or the leaves would be too bitter

Where are you located and do you mind if I ask what type of collard green are you growing? I thought collards were a cool weather crop and would bolt in the summer, or the leaves would be too bitter
Wisconsin, variety vates. Personally eating a raw collard green is quite bitter unless cooked thoroughly. All my critters that eat plant matter shure love em tho. Yeah the growing season is quite short and usually I get my planting done a couple weeks earlier. Probably won’t produce as well this year, is what it is, I try doin two planting’s every year and if I get them in around August 20th they usually produce well with crop rotation.

I live in Oregon and it's quite a bit cooler here than in other states. The plants themselves have been growing mostly in the shade with about 3-4 hours of sunlight. I believe that are a basic kind 'brassica olerace' but I'll have to check tomorrow. I have a little tag saying which kind. Either way they're giant collard greens. i have some under lights, some in the greenhouse and some outside to see which way works best. I introduced Loretta to the outside ones today

Try eroponics. Can be a little tricky with organics as algae like to take over if light is present in root zone, as well as temp to high in reservoir. If you get it down right growth will be explosive. If you have a mistking they work great for it.

Back
Top Bottom