Greenhouses

Very nice Jeremy! I have a new greenhouse arriving tomorrow, I am very excited! It will be at least a month before it is assembled and ready for action. I'm planning on testing over the winter so as to not kill all my plants during the temperature learning curve. What are you using for heat, if it is necessary during your winter season? That is my biggest decision that has yet to be made. Cooling will be an exhaust fan, circulation fans, and a DIY evaporative cooling wall.

How did you make out with the new UV bulbs?

Very nice Jeremy! I have a new greenhouse arriving tomorrow, I am very excited! It will be at least a month before it is assembled and ready for action. I'm planning on testing over the winter so as to not kill all my plants during the temperature learning curve. What are you using for heat, if it is necessary during your winter season? That is my biggest decision that has yet to be made. Cooling will be an exhaust fan, circulation fans, and a DIY evaporative cooling wall.

How did you make out with the new UV bulbs?

I normally have three or four days of snow a year on the greenhouse. Meaning to keep tropical or semi tropical conditions a heating unit is essential. I have got a propane heater that is doing the job. Look through this thread I have posted plenty of photo's of the heating and cooling units. This greenhouse goes through about 4-6 months of over 100 degree Fahrenheit temperatures a year as well meaning a cooling units are required too. I have got a large swamp cooler and a misting system that doubles as a cooling mechanism as well. The greenhouse now is just finishing the hot season in my area of the states. The Lugarti lamps are doing the job. My Calumma oshaughnessyi are adapting to all the concerns I had about using these bulbs . Such as would the Calumma oshaughnessyi use a light in the greenhouse? Would they burn themselves? The Calumma oshaughnessy are going to the basking area's and distancing themselves to the bulbs lights openly to me while I am in the greenhouse. Once greenhouses are assembled and going they are a great environment for chameleons. However I am giving my chameleons some out time outside of the greenhouse time too though. They can have time with the natural sunshine, wind and bluebird sky. I think they thrive with that combination/protocol.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The greenhouse is filled with enclosures to the level now days. That most of my free ranging is done supervised outdoors. I have got large free range plants inside my greenhouse. However catching chameleons around and behind enclosures is extremely cumbersome.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I normally have three or four days of snow a year on the greenhouse. Meaning to keep tropical or semi tropical conditions a heating unit is essential. I have got a propane heater that is doing the job. Look through this thread I have posted plenty of photo's of the heating and cooling units. This greenhouse goes through about 4-6 months of over 100 degree Fahrenheit temperatures a year as well meaning a cooling units are required too. I have got a large swamp cooler and a misting system that doubles as a cooling mechanism as well. The greenhouse now is just finishing the hot season in my area of the states. The Lugarti lamps are doing the job. My Calumma oshaughnessyi are adapting to all the concerns I had about using these bulbs . Such as would the Calumma oshaughnessyi use a light in the greenhouse? Would they burn themselves? The Calumma oshaughnessy are going to the basking area's and distancing themselves to the bulbs lights openly to me while I am in the greenhouse. Once greenhouses are assembled and going they are a great environment for chameleons. However I am giving my chameleons some out time outside of the greenhouse time too though. They can have time with the natural sunshine, wind and bluebird sky. I think they thrive with that combination/protocol.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Thank you! Ive read the thread many times now - but things sometimes change and some things just dont go to plan. The fact yours remains largely unchanged all these years is a testament to your design plan!

I have considered propane heaters, but have read they can create a lot of humidity (to a detriment) . Sounds like no issues on your behalf. How much propane do you think you go through in a season?

That depends on the winter and the make and model of propane heater you want to buy. I would talk to the sales representative you are considering buy a propane heater from. Good luck!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

These are some long awaited photo's from today of my montane chameleon greenhouse.
4ZlrEb.jpg

This photo is one of my hold back Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii males climbing around one of my Lugarti lamps.
aDyFlU.jpg

This is my greenhouses Plumeria Tree.

6zhAmf.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom