Green Veiled Chameleon with URI, Advice needed

Which UVB fixture type and bulb strength are you using? What is the total distance from the bottom of the fixture to the closest branch right below it?
Hey Beman, I had to completely remove this fixture off the enclosure, it’s giving off way too much heat. I don’t know the brand, but I ordered it off Amazon, it’s not a Reptisun or a Arcadia either..I bought the bulb from Amazon also and it’s a HO T5 Reptisun bulb but honestly I don’t think I trust this one either. I’m going to return both of these and just use my previous smaller one as a backup even though it’s not large enough for this enclosure. Can you please recommend a good hood, uvb set that I can use for an X-Large enclosure? I genuinely feel so bad for her currently, I honestly think she was frying under this fixture all day 😞..

The issue is everything is out of stock everywhere... I could give you a work around though and it is what I use... Buy this bulb in the 22 inch.... https://tamura-designs.com/collecti...arcadia-d3-6-uvb-t5-ho?variant=41565494476952

Then buy this fixture in the 24 inch. It will come with a daylight bulb. You will remove it and put in the UVB> https://tamura-designs.com/collections/lighting/products/propagation-light-24?variant=41559458087064
These are good for plant lighting. So you could get two one for plant lighting with the daylight bulb and one for UVB>

@Beman once again, THANK YOU! I just ordered them now and I should get them in about 1-3 days. I’ll keep you posted :) also, NEVER ordering bulbs/fixtures from Amazon again.. I was honestly so excited to put her into the bigger enclosure and I stressed the poor little gal out by trying to go cheap..🥲 learned that you cannot go cheap in this hobby at all!

@Beman once again, THANK YOU! I just ordered them now and I should get them in about 1-3 days. I’ll keep you posted :) also, NEVER ordering bulbs/fixtures from Amazon again.. I was honestly so excited to put her into the bigger enclosure and I stressed the poor little gal out by trying to go cheap..🥲 learned that you cannot go cheap in this hobby at all!
Yeah lol cheap does not pan out... I have more money into my cage then I care to admit at this point. My $59 chameleon has a complete set up that I dropped about 2k on. Or at least that is when I stopped counting lol.

Yeah lol cheap does not pan out... I have more money into my cage then I care to admit at this point. My $59 chameleon has a complete set up that I dropped about 2k on. Or at least that is when I stopped counting lol.
I definitely believe it! I didn’t think it was going to be this expensive at first, but now I definitely see it! Lol 😂 what kind of chameleon do you have?

Beman is a petco special buy... lol Male Veiled Chameleon. He will be 5 years old in June. :)
Oh my! 😍 when you purchased him, was he in ok condition or was it a bit of a struggle at first? When I first got Yoshi, she had swollen nodes in her eyes and sadly there was another baby dying at the bottom of the enclosure ☹️..

Also, what are signs that a chameleon is shedding? Yoshi is refusing to bask plus being lethargic & im making sure that I’m misting her, but she’s getting these white patches everywhere! I’m not 100% sure if she’s shedding or dehydrated due to the previous bulb/hood that I had to return 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m still waiting on the new ones to come in, but she won’t move anywhere unless it’s for food lol! Just sits right under the UVB.. ( here’s a pic for reference)

Attachments

• 5E9F3BB0-D939-45E1-905F-FE68189BF092.jpeg
    5E9F3BB0-D939-45E1-905F-FE68189BF092.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 50
Oh my! 😍 when you purchased him, was he in ok condition or was it a bit of a struggle at first? When I first got Yoshi, she had swollen nodes in her eyes and sadly there was another baby dying at the bottom of the enclosure ☹️..

Also, what are signs that a chameleon is shedding? Yoshi is refusing to bask plus being lethargic & im making sure that I’m misting her, but she’s getting these white patches everywhere! I’m not 100% sure if she’s shedding or dehydrated due to the previous bulb/hood that I had to return 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m still waiting on the new ones to come in, but she won’t move anywhere unless it’s for food lol! Just sits right under the UVB.. ( here’s a pic for reference)
They only had him for less than a week so I got very lucky.

She is shedding you can tell by the white patches on her. They tend to be a little less active and more attitude when shedding. Some will go off food as well while shedding.

They only had him for less than a week so I got very lucky.

She is shedding you can tell by the white patches on her. They tend to be a little less active and more attitude when shedding. Some will go off food as well while shedding.
That is pretty lucky! I knew what I was getting myself into though when I got Yoshi initially.. her nodes were already swollen and I genuinely just felt so bad leaving her in there honestly so I wanted to rescue her :)

TY also that makes me feel a lot better, I really thought that the lights were making her dehydrated, such a relieve! While they shed, is it normal for them not to bask also?

That is pretty lucky! I knew what I was getting myself into though when I got Yoshi initially.. her nodes were already swollen and I genuinely just felt so bad leaving her in there honestly so I wanted to rescue her :)

TY also that makes me feel a lot better, I really thought that the lights were making her dehydrated, such a relieve! While they shed, is it normal for them not to bask also?
Beman tends to bask more under his uvb and LED plant lights when he sheds. Just make sure you have a dripper going so she has access to water.

Beman tends to bask more under his uvb and LED plant lights when he sheds. Just make sure you have a dripper going so she has access to water.
Yes I have one going! She’s doing a lot better, I snapped another pic of her while shedding!

Attachments

• CBF44195-C941-4A7C-94A4-5BBEDA37B366.jpeg
    CBF44195-C941-4A7C-94A4-5BBEDA37B366.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 43
Oh yeah it is coming off now.
Hey Beman, is it possible that Yoshi could be vitamin A deficient? I don’t think Petco was giving her any vitamin A at all and I’ve been supplementing the multivitamin twice a month, but her eyes are still a bit swollen and she’s starting to scratch them again on branches… is there anything I can do on my part to try to boost it without overdosing or should I request a blood test from the vet to confirm?

Also I’m feeding her Dubia roaches/ silk worms: gutloading the roaches with repashy & the silk worms have their chow. Only giving her hornworms once a week: I try to gutload them also with repashy as well. She was eating crickets before, but I had to get her off of them because I just think they’re as nutritional plus she wouldn’t eat the roaches if there were crickets lol..

Hey Beman, is it possible that Yoshi could be vitamin A deficient? I don’t think Petco was giving her any vitamin A at all and I’ve been supplementing the multivitamin twice a month, but her eyes are still a bit swollen and she’s starting to scratch them again on branches… is there anything I can do on my part to try to boost it without overdosing or should I request a blood test from the vet to confirm?

Also I’m feeding her Dubia roaches/ silk worms: gutloading the roaches with repashy & the silk worms have their chow. Only giving her hornworms once a week: I try to gutload them also with repashy as well. She was eating crickets before, but I had to get her off of them because I just think they’re as nutritional plus she wouldn’t eat the roaches if there were crickets lol..
I do not think it is a vitamin A deficiency. With her having a URI I would be willing to bet there is an infection in her sinuses causing the eyes to puff in the corners like that.

The other possibility is that while at petco they were only giving calcium with D3. Sometime we see chams that have been overdosed on D3 get this as well.

Back
Top Bottom