Gravid?

Lexlynn

Established Member
Past week my cham has been extra energized roaming around the whole cage. She seems to be getting her big girl colors too. But I noticed she makes this weird puff sound she won’t get dark or anything I’ll just hear her do it in her cage. And today she just sat with her mouth open then began roaming around with it still open -she was not basking her temps are good and humidity is great - ive never seen her do this before. I’ve heard the puffing sound numerous times thought maybe it was something else until I was right next to her cage when I heard her do it. She was just at the vet for a checkup too .

Hi- do you think you can share a picture? Others should be in to assist shortly..
She’s not doing it now - she just stopped I didn’t get a picture of her doing it. I’ll share a picture of her I took when I fed her this morning - she always gets on the door when I’m gonna feed her. Is it possible she’s ready to lay? Her lay bin is there I’ve caught her by the sand a few times. I put a blanket around her cage for the time being :///
E30484B7-B1A8-4681-9BD2-CCF193D380BF.jpeg

Past week my cham has been extra energized roaming around the whole cage. She seems to be getting her big girl colors too. But I noticed she makes this weird puff sound she won’t get dark or anything I’ll just hear her do it in her cage. And today she just sat with her mouth open then began roaming around with it still open -she was not basking her temps are good and humidity is great - ive never seen her do this before. I’ve heard the puffing sound numerous times thought maybe it was something else until I was right next to her cage when I heard her do it. She was just at the vet for a checkup too .
It sounds as though she may be receptive, which happens a few weeks before being gravid. My ladies have never puffed or kept their mouths open. I’d be concerned that her temps may be too hot or she may have a respiratory infection.

So this sounds like gaping, what are your temps? Do you have a lay bin for her?
Temps highest 85 it’s been fluctuating due to the weather here one day cold next hot but highest I’ve ever had it is 85. Lay pin on bottom with play sand she’s been roaming around down there too

It sounds as though she may be receptive, which happens a few weeks before being gravid. My ladies have never puffed or kept their mouths open. I’d be concerned that her temps may be too hot or she may have a respiratory infection.
I’ll call the vet then - I have an appointment next week for my snakes so I’ll just bring her. Thank you so much

@misknows more about females but I'm pretty sure 85 is a bit high. Higher temps mean more eggs, which you dont want.
the guy I bought her from stressed 85-90 and I’ve personally fought with my boyfriend about this too. I typically like it around 80 but this weathers been insane it was 40 the other day today
Being receptive isn't something to worry about. She doesnt look too gravid so I'd give her a couple weeks and look for changes and a bigger belly
im more worried about the possible respiratory issue due to puffing sound she makes. It happens once in a while it’s not every day

the guy I bought her from stressed 85-90 and I’ve personally fought with my boyfriend about this too. I typically like it around 80 but this weathers been insane it was 40 the other day today

im more worried about the possible respiratory issue due to puffing sound she makes. It happens once in a while it’s not every day
Oh yes 🤦‍♀️ I was thinking of her colors at that moment. It would be good to double check for an respiratory infection. What us the humidity in her cage?

Keeping her temp around 80 is ideal for our ladies, along with limiting food in order to help prevent large clutches and/or frequent laying.
85 isn’t hot enough to cause her to try to cool off by gaping. Are there any other chameleons or other animals that she has a clear view of and could be hissing at?

Keeping her temp around 80 is ideal for our ladies, along with limiting food in order to help prevent large clutches and/or frequent laying.
85 isn’t hot enough to cause her to try to cool off by gaping. Are there any other chameleons or other animals that she has a clear view of and could be hissing at?
We actually have a leopard gecko right next to her but he’s not out much during the day really I’m not sure if she if he was when she does hiss - could she be hissing at me lol 😂 we have a dog too and she seems to hate my 2 year old so maybe even her ???

We actually have a leopard gecko right next to her but he’s not out much during the day really I’m not sure if she if he was when she does hiss - could she be hissing at me lol 😂 we have a dog too and she seems to hate my 2 year old so maybe even her ???
Absolutely she could be hissing at you if you are too close. I have to be just a few inches away from my sweet little girls to elicit hisses, gaping and other threats.

Absolutely she could be hissing at you if you are too close. I have to be just a few inches away from my sweet little girls to elicit hisses, gaping and other threats.
I never thought of that because she never has a problem coming out onto my hand. I’m in the process of moving so I plan to keep her in her own room higher up hopefully that helps too! Thanks for all your help I’m going to try and take note of when the hissing is

Back
Top Bottom