Gravid Female Questions, help!

chamlover

ok 2 gravid females, well if you haven't mated them, but she is getting ready to lay infertile eggs, is she still called gravid? My infertile veiled started digging and she worked all day, laid them and buried them and climbed back up, so i thought she was done. I gave her a nice shower which she loved and put her back in her cage with crickets and silkworms. When i dug them up, there was only 1! Isn't that awful little. She hasn't eaten yet either. Should i put her back in the bucket another time?

Second female. Panther blue ambilobe, mated i think feb 3, i will hav to check my papers. Anyway today was 30 days and i know it is suppose to be 22-30 days. How long before i start to worry? For the last week she has been off crickets, but still readily eaten a couple of silkworms a day. She has also been on the bottom branches of her cage, but never on the bottom. I thought i would put her in the bucket anyway to see what would happen , but nothing. She won't eat today either. I know i might be a little paranoid because of what happened with my other panther, so am i just worrying for nothing? How long do i wait before i should do something about it?

Debby

Re: veiled...its not good news that she only laid one egg and buried it. Its also not good that she has no place to lay the other ones that still must be inside her. I would get her to a vet ASAP.

Re: panther...the egglaying site should have been set up in the cage as soon as she mated. In fact I have a site in all my egglaying females' cages from the time they could possibly be sexually mature. Not having a place to lay the eggs leads to eggbinding. It concerns me that she is sitting low down in her cage.

When a veiled or panther is mated for the first time, it often happens that they dump the infertile eggs that they were working on a lot sooner than the normal time, then go on to produce a fertile clutch. What do you think happens if she has no place to lay them?

BTW...don't let the females see you watching them when they are digging/laying eggs.

All my females do have an egg laying ben in their cages. Learned that the hard way. But she didn't use it that is why i put her in the big bucket, but that didn't work either. How long should i wait before bringing her to the vets? Also my husband said he checked the veiled this am and she doesn't have any more eggs. She flattened out wicked and you could see everything, but not eggs. I tried to put her in another bucket, but she climbed out 3 times.lol I don't know how she did it. I found her hanging on my curtains. He thinks she might have dug a second hole. I only checked one spot where i saw her digging. He'll check the whole bucket tonite. In an unfertile clutch, how many eggs should they have?

Debby

A clutch size depends somewhat on how much she was fed and the temperature that she has been kept at.

I hope that she did lay a second or deeper hole and that you find the rest of the clutch....keep us posted!

Just to keep you up to date. No other eggs in the bucket. However today she was very restless, all over the cage again , trying to get out. I placed her again in the bucket and within 30 minutes she was digging (no she didn't see me) so i guess maybe it was just a test hole. I'm wondering if the egg was from the last clutch another female laid and we missed it . My hubby says no. Anyway tonite when i checked she was back on the branch so i thought she was done when i realized she never closed up the hole. Isn't that really unusual? Is she just digging test holes? She doesn't even look like she has any eggs.
My other female blue bar is going on 32 days of being gravid. When do i bring her to the vets?

Debby

My last female dug several test holes. She probably dug test holes for several days. Until finally all the wholes where coverd up. Then we knew she was done. Sure enough we dug up the soil and found 23 eggs

Back
Top Bottom