Grasshoppers

The regulations were basically a blanket ban. Many of the species are native to the entire US, so it wasn't something done with any nuance. Deregulating the Melanoplus species is probably because they are commonly used for research, and constantly having to go through the permitting process was a waste of resources.

I only just started working with Melanoplus after the deregulation since I always preferred Schistocerca, but they are really taking off.

20200128_130702.jpg

The regulations were basically a blanket ban. Many of the species are native to the entire US, so it wasn't something done with any nuance. Deregulating the Melanoplus species is probably because they are commonly used for research, and constantly having to go through the permitting process was a waste of resources.

I only just started working with Melanoplus after the deregulation since I always preferred Schistocerca, but they are really taking off.

View attachment 257339

Well if you want to sell some I’m down! I tried to breed some this summer but ended up with all males :(

His should be adults by now, so we'll know if he has recent pics. These are Melanoplus differentialis. I think his were Melanoplus femurrubrum or possibly bivittatus.

Here's one of my adults:

View attachment 257341
Hi there! Here’s a new picture of my adults, what do you guys think, Melanoplus femurrubrum still?

Attachments

• 6F8BD82F-FF14-4DE7-AF77-4A95ECF259A4.jpeg
    6F8BD82F-FF14-4DE7-AF77-4A95ECF259A4.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 105
  • B2769C97-2F7D-4973-8409-5125A30A4717.jpeg
    B2769C97-2F7D-4973-8409-5125A30A4717.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 79
  • FD442653-A81F-4F83-8AE3-00574EB24BF8.jpeg
    FD442653-A81F-4F83-8AE3-00574EB24BF8.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 101
Yeah that's Melanoplus bivittatus 100%

Good news, since Melanoplus femurrubrum are even smaller, lol.

Edit#2: actually some not good news too, since they are not one of the deregulated species despite being present across the entire US as well as being part of the genus that was deregulated lol.

Last edited:
Yeah that's Melanoplus bivittatus 100%

Good news, since Melanoplus femurrubrum are even smaller, lol.

Edit#2: actually some not good news too, since they are not one of the deregulated species despite being present across the entire US as well as being part of the genus that was deregulated lol.

Ok thank you. So I can keep breeding them for my Cham but can’t ship them anywhere, right? That’s ok, my guy really loves them.

Two Stripes you say? HA! IN YOUR FACE! *does touchdown dance*

Just kidding :p How would you compare their size to large crickets, @Rst_Cham? My red legged were pretty small. Maybe the size of a skinny large cricket. Just curious.

Ok thank you. So I can keep breeding them for my Cham but can’t ship them anywhere, right? That’s ok, my guy really loves them.
Yep, most insect breeders ignore it but that would be the law.
Two Stripes you say? HA! IN YOUR FACE! *does touchdown dance*

Just kidding :p How would you compare their size to large crickets, @Rst_Cham? My red legged were pretty small. Maybe the size of a skinny large cricket. Just curious.
:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom