Grasshoppers and snails

Action Jackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
Thought I'd post some pictures of my snail and grasshopper set ups.

This is how I'm keeping my snails. The were wild caught, laid eggs and released. My first gen snails laid eggs and now I have a bunch of new baby snails.

Babies

Here are my grasshoppers hatched from eggs laid by hoppers I got from forum member Jeremy.

They are growing super fast.

And since it's Parson' Friday:D
Kimbo and Pepper.

That is great that both colonies are going good for you. We're both going to have to procure higher production rates from the grasshoppers though.

Last edited:
I have snail colonys at work for my lizards, and I throw in some cuttlebone to help with their shell growth. I think my species are around 7-10 days, but they are so tiny at that age, it takes a good month or two before I can feed them out.

I do so love your parsons, such lovely chameleons.

Could you tell me more about your grasshopper set up? I think I would like to get into grasshoppers. But I know nothing about setting up and raising them. With only 3 chams, all being different sizes, I need food I can grow. It is hard trying to buy a variety of feeders, in 3 sizes, for 1 Cham each!! These chams like to make me work.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
AJ, what greenery are you keeping in there with those hoppers?

What sort of temps are you keeping them at?

Id think you'd have to have them fairly warm to do well.

Id also be curious to know if you've noticed any cannibalism amongst the hoppers...

AJ, what greenery are you keeping in there with those hoppers?

What sort of temps are you keeping them at?

Id think you'd have to have them fairly warm to do well.

Id also be curious to know if you've noticed any cannibalism amongst the hoppers...

I have been feeding them romaine lettuce, rose leaves,sweet pea leaves and dandelions. My wife got that thing of grass but so far it doesn't look like they're eating it.

I have a 75 watt bulb in the fixture you see. I agree they should be kept warm but so far they are doing fine like that.

I have never seen the adults eat each other although they like to do other things together, a lot!:D

Hahaha, sounds like theyre doing just fine then.

I wouldnt think they think too much of the grass, maybe just for hiding and such. When it grows taller even more so.

Some monster live dandelions would likely be a good idea. :)

I have been feeding them romaine lettuce, rose leaves,sweet pea leaves and dandelions. My wife got that thing of grass but so far it doesn't look like they're eating it.

I have a 75 watt bulb in the fixture you see. I agree they should be kept warm but so far they are doing fine like that.

I have never seen the adults eat each other although they like to do other things together, a lot!:D

I have got two species and if you mix the two they will eat each other.

Update on the hoppers and snails.

I have had about 80 hoppers hatch this year so far. I think I had 30 last year. I kept all of the ones from last year, let them breed and lay, then fed them off. I'm still working on getting the laying medium right which is the key to success IMO.

I started a new snail colony as the old one got neglected. I'm hoping for lots of baby snails.:)

Have you tried growing wheat for the hoppers. I kept a species in the past that mowed it to the ground as long as it was under around 6". Fresh Timothy grass worked well also.

Carl

Back
Top Bottom