Grasshopper ID / Verification

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
We need a bug forum! :cool:

Anyone that can confirm the ID of these guys? I think I have differential grasshoppers and red legged grasshoppers. I thought I had two-striped but as the nymphs grow they look like differentials.

Any help IDing is appreciated!

9F9594F3-4E6F-4837-9F62-A4F6A9A01768.jpeg 1B6E65F5-DEC1-4159-8F6F-F0180BFAE93A.jpeg B50927CD-AA19-4BF5-B7CE-AF8F9860FCAD.jpeg

The one with the chevrons on its legs is a differential. I dont see a red legged or two striped (bivitatus) in the group.

The one with the chevrons on its legs is a differential. I dont see a red legged or two striped (bivitatus) in the group.

Thank you! Any idea on the other? They have reddish hind legs but I really have no idea other than potential red legged. Im in Maryland (eastern US).

Here’s another shot
8EF5EC76-B397-4881-9A6D-659DC281E4C5.jpeg

Not 100% sure on species, need some closeup body shots of the ones that haven't been identified. A few in the pictures also don't look quite fully grown yet.

Not 100% sure on species, need some closeup body shots of the ones that haven't been identified. A few in the pictures also don't look quite fully grown yet.

Thats correct - most aren’t fully grown. That’s why I thought I had two striped, as the nymphs looked like them but as they grew resembles differentials instead.

Thanks!

If they have full grown wings, they are adults. There are quite a few grasshopper species. Most overwinter as eggs, and have obligatory diapause and wont hatch until spring. I see some green colored adults that overwinter here in Montana.

The big female is Melanoplus differentialis for sure. The small ones are some other species of Melanoplus, but there are so many that I can't say which one for sure. M. sanguinipes and M. femurrubrum are the common ones. Most Melanoplus species have red legs, so that isn't much of an indicator lol. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom