Grasshopper food

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just had my grasshoppers start hatching and I have a huge garden of food to offer them if they will eat it however I'm uncertain as to what this species will eat. I have differential grasshoppers. Are they picky? I know generally what to avoid, do I need to do special care for the little ones like tearing leaves (phasmids prepared me for this). I feel like I am far less prepared than I thought I was. Any help is appreciated <3

I use mustard or collard greens for mine that I got from @SauceGandhi. Also hanging the greens from the top seems to get them to feed more readily.
Interesting. I just threw in some pea greens from the garden but i have mustard greens growing and kale so i can change out easily

Just had my grasshoppers start hatching and I have a huge garden of food to offer them if they will eat it however I'm uncertain as to what this species will eat. I have differential grasshoppers. Are they picky? I know generally what to avoid, do I need to do special care for the little ones like tearing leaves (phasmids prepared me for this). I feel like I am far less prepared than I thought I was. Any help is appreciated <3
I got this at my local Amazon Fresh supermarket. Looks to be a good nutritious blend. What do you think?

Attachments

• 77826919-51DF-497B-8FC5-2C9A252C16AE.jpeg
    77826919-51DF-497B-8FC5-2C9A252C16AE.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 36
  • E7D8B1BA-E344-44D5-8103-98745711C76D.jpeg
    E7D8B1BA-E344-44D5-8103-98745711C76D.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 33
I got this at my local Amazon Fresh supermarket. Looks to be a good nutritious blend. What do you think?
I tried the mixed greens and I wasted more than they ate. My grasshoppers preferred eating from the plants rather than a salad. I would get lettuce and have it in a shallow cup with water which kept the lettuce from drying out. They also like bunched collard greens which I also place in a cup of water so it would last a lil longer. During spring and summer I would collect wild grasses and mulberry branches with leaves. They also loved corn stalk leaves so if there is a farm near you try to collect some.

Back
Top Bottom