Grass inside a Cage?

melric

Avid Member
Has anyone tried growing grass at the bottom of a cage? Or maybe those already grown sod pieces? I think it would be a good idea anyone else?

I bet you would have a hard time growing it. I know the grass by me does not grow well in the shade and I would assume with all your foilage and stuff it would be hard for the uvb to penetrate to the floor of the cage. Plus, I just think it would be weird! Just my opinion. No offense! It would probably get too much water too from all the mistings and drippings and such.

No offense taken. Hahaha, I was just thinking about it. Grass is a weed after all so depending on the type maybe it could survive.
How about that grass that they sell in squares at Petsmart?

Funny, I am working on this right now. I think it makes a lot of sense. Some sand to help with drainage (should be minimal). Some detritivores as clean up crew. I want to try some live moss as well. Anyone tried?

I guess you guys have way better imaginations than me! I'll just stick to my drab, bare old floor! Hey, I hope it works out for you. Post some pics if you end up doing it.

Funny, I am working on this right now. I think it makes a lot of sense. Some sand to help with drainage (should be minimal). Some detritivores as clean up crew. I want to try some live moss as well. Anyone tried?

Hey at least I'm not the only one who thought of it. lol. Cool, if anyone has had any success maybe I could try it in my Exo's.

I was wondering about moss also that grows well in the shade in a forest. Lowe's sells litte pots of groundcover some is meant for the shade.

Hey if you guys grow grass and are successful I would love to know how you did it. Nothing is impossible though;)

There was a thread about this a few months back. A few experienced keepers were growing grass in their enclosures, and there was a discussion about what kinds were safe, etc. It was quite interesting. Maybe try searching (I'd do it, but I'm feeling lazy right now).

There's a thread on here somewhere of a guy that put fake grass in his cage! it looks really good, and easy to keep clean.

yea I do and it works great and looks pretty sweet. See If I can post some pics later. Its more of a short tight spagnum moss that looks like golf course green. So not exactly grass but It was out of my front yard:D

i have have wheat grass in my timor monitor enclosure it grew quick and holds up well in the high humidity

heres one tank I did recently with some moss. Its been keeping nice and green but not really growing up anything. You have to keep it fairly moist at all times right after transplant for few weeks. Then just regular tank mistings are suitable. Thats been working for me.
5731305994_4835ee90c9_z.jpg

Thats a gecko tank, I do have some in a female panther chameleon screen that is 18x18x36

I tried the Irish Moss in mine and like others it is slowly dying.
I am looking into this for my Adult cage

http://www.waterlessgrass.com/

I plan on having my potted plants suspended by a grate so I would lay this on top of the grate with an drain pan under it all to catch excess water and the escaped crickets

here is a very BAD sketch of my Plan

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 194
Back
Top Bottom