Grass hoppers

Grasshoppers are the best food source for chameleons hands down IMO. But, they are not all that easy to breed. You have to diapause the eggs and hatch rate can be rather low. There are a few people doing fair with some of their local species. There are a few species that don't need diapause, but they are not easy to get your hands on.

Funny enough, the company Cape Cod Roaches is working on some species for sale. I noticed this on their website not too long ago. I collect seasonally and am able to get eggs due to most of the female hoppers being ready to drop eggs anyways. But even though I have had some luck, I haven't been so successful as to have a high enough yield to feed off consistently.

Grasshoppers are the best food source for chameleons hands down IMO. But, they are not all that easy to breed. You have to diapause the eggs and hatch rate can be rather low. There are a few people doing fair with some of their local species. There are a few species that don't need diapause, but they are not easy to get your hands on.

Funny enough, the company Cape Cod Roaches is working on some species for sale. I noticed this on their website not too long ago. I collect seasonally and am able to get eggs due to most of the female hoppers being ready to drop eggs anyways. But even though I have had some luck, I haven't been so successful as to have a high enough yield to feed off consistently.
thanks for the info, basically what I'm looking for is 2 different feeders to start breeding , I was hoping to do grass hoppers and dubias

thanks for the info, basically what I'm looking for is 2 different feeders to start breeding , I was hoping to do grass hoppers and dubias

I won't be the person to tell you go a different route, as you may be the person that figures them out. But, if you want something more reliable I would go dubia and something else. I personally love the Orange head roach over dubia. But you could breed silkworms, hornworms, mantids, stick insects, etc. There are a ton of options really.

Back
Top Bottom