(GRAPHIC CONTENT) Hungry bioactive cleaner crew: P. Scaber "Giant Orange" aggressive protein seekers!

You may find this of some interest. http://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=B1088&title=Millipedes and Centipedes.

I have found the ones James was talking about coming from some of the plants I have washed and repotted in the non bioactive enclosures before. I always tossed them out the door before my previous convo with James before his absence started lol.

Yeah, they're pretty interesting animals. I used to have a couple as pets. After reading further, apparently only some of them are cyanide-containing. One other good thing about the scarlets is that they're pretty inactive and prefer to stay low to the ground (if not under it).

Something like these? I'm at the time of year they start popping up outside occasionally. I've thought about collecting a few to see if I can breed them for a clean generation to use in the males cages with the p. dialatus and springtails.

View attachment 222916

Not those, although I'm sure they're fine as well. The ones I have in abundance look like this picture(got it on google). On my post with my bio enclosure you can see some of them sitting on the log at the bottom. There must be thousands in there, if I drop food, cham poop, etc they swarm it. They can't bite though and are harmless.

Attachments

• 1-subterranean-millipede-dant-fenolio.jpg
    1-subterranean-millipede-dant-fenolio.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 135
Yeah, they're pretty interesting animals. I used to have a couple as pets. After reading further, apparently only some of them are cyanide-containing. One other good thing about the scarlets is that they're pretty inactive and prefer to stay low to the ground (if not under it).

I find the around my office and home curled up a lot. Have you bred the scarlet ones before then? Are they easy to breed to get clean generations from wild?

Not those, although I'm sure they're fine as well. The ones I have in abundance look like this picture(got it on google). On my post with my bio enclosure you can see some of them sitting on the log at the bottom. There must be thousands in there, if I drop food, cham poop, etc they swarm it. They can't bite though and are harmless.

Then I'm not finding the same ones in my pots you are lol. The ones I find in my pots look more like scarlets.

Don't millipedes contain cyanide? I thought they were too poisonous to keep with chameleons! I've always been drawn to millis, but didn't think they were an option

Looks like you already found the answer to this lol, but even the ones with cyanide produce only a small amount. The millipedes main defense is an irritating, bad taste I believe. I have had them crawl right in front of my chams and they don't touch them. I'd imagine after one(if that) try chams realize they don't like them. The only critters I worry about my chams eating are lightning bugs.

So cool to see bio catching on. Seems like even a year ago it was pretty rare in the US hobby.

I agree, it is pretty cool to see all the threads asking for advise on it lately. Feels like there weren't as many doing it in late '17 when I put Blue's cage together. I looked the other night trying to find the sticky for it (pretty sure there used to be one?) but couldn't find one. @Decadancin do you know if there is a bioactive sticky anywhere anymore/ ever was?

I find the around my office and home curled up a lot. Have you bred the scarlet ones before then? Are they easy to breed to get clean generations from wild?

I have not, actually! I just had one in an 8x8x12 terrarium, but my understanding is that keeping a male and female together will give you babies pretty easily (as long as they have adequate moisture and access to food). I ended up finding them too inactive to be a particularly interesting pet (I prefer ivory millipedes, which are bigger and way more active), so stopped keeping them

I have not, actually! I just had one in an 8x8x12 terrarium, but my understanding is that keeping a male and female together will give you babies pretty easily (as long as they have adequate moisture and access to food). I ended up finding them too inactive to be a particularly interesting pet (I prefer ivory millipedes, which are bigger and way more active), so stopped keeping them

Suppose I'll start collecting them and see if they'll produce any for me then lol. I like the bumble bees the most of the ones I've seen so far. Something about their color scheme catches my eye every time haha.

@dshuld @Brodybreaux25 , no you can't see a listing of ignored status you show up on. It really just allows you to block notifications about that person. I don't think many use it until some extreme stuff happens. I used it once to block someone who was banned quickly after, (before becoming a moderator) so no real experience with how it works. I will do a bit of experimenting to see if there are any special things to be aware of.

@dshuld @Brodybreaux25 , no you can't see a listing of ignored status you show up on. It really just allows you to block notifications about that person. I don't think many use it until some extreme stuff happens. I used it once to block someone who was banned quickly after, (before becoming a moderator) so no real experience with how it works. I will do a bit of experimenting to see if there are any special things to be aware of.

Meh, I'm good there lol. Where's the sticky's gone to again? I swear there was a bioactive one but can't find it for the life of me :confused:.

Back
Top Bottom