Govee temp/hygrometer vs infrared temp gun temperature

Ashleyg

Hi All,

Not sure how many of you have the Govee temp/hygrometer, they seem to be pretty amazing, however when i'm checking these temps vs. an infrared temp gun, like from home depot... the temp gun is reading about 5-10 degrees warmer. Any opinions on which would be more accurate?

The Govee are smart devices that connect to your cellphone via Bluetooth. No probes. I consider them fairly accurate but I don't trust them 100%. I would hazard a +- 5-10% variance would be normal. One thing I've noticed is the humidity readings can be way off if they get wet. I always take the humidity reading with a big grain of salt after I first mist my Crested Gecko's tank. I would think an infrared temp gun (assuming proper calibration) would be more accurate.

Hi the readings will vary the temp gun will be giving surface temp and the govee will be giving you ambient temp. I use both along with wired probes 1 at basking 1 at the bottom of the enclosure and a humidity probe in back middle . The govee has very good independent reviews I tested mine along side 2 thermostats and there wasn't very much -/+ difference i think around 2 degrees

I think they are fairly accurate with temperature and ambient humidity but when they get wet the humidity reading gets thrown off. I've misted in the Crested Gecko tank and waited a few minutes and then but a second govee in right next to the one I keep in the tank being carefull not to let it get wet and the first one always reads a higher humidity than the second one even after a few minutes setting together. As you mentioned they are really good at ambient temperature and humidity especially in a room.

Yeah I don't spray mine you are going to get false if they get wet . But yeah ikeep temp and humidity gauges outside the tank also to compare data flipping chameleon lol who'd have 1 😃

Good accuracy as far as you can tell? Probe ones are usually better. I had ones from Zilla and exo terra that were not very good even with the probes.
Yes. Getting 5 together is nice because you can immediately tell if one is wonky. None so far.

So far they've been ±1°F/±2%. Only the probe goes inside; the main unit stays outside & dry.

use Govee, I have like 9 or something. Getting them too wet will through them for a bit , but they dry out and are fine. They are as accurate as the advertise +/- 2f on temp and +/- 4% on humidity. I have had none fail completely, only dead battery after 18months or so. I use them not only in chams but snakes and dart frogs and roaches as well. They can get wet but not soaked. I have drown one and once dried out it still works.
Their newer models are Wifi and I believe can be checked from anywhere.
Theses are good products at a good price point. The company has recently started sponsoring some reptile video channels which means they are realizing a market. I hope to see some stuff marketed too us in the future.

Also if inclined an capable, the plastic square just holds a little board. You could easily 3D print a new case, or paint the one you have making sure to leave the hole. This would be purely for looks, like make it look like a rock or a stick.

Oh no I agree they are good and I use them in the house to keep a check on ambient temperature and humidity and in a Crested Gecko tank and a tree frog tank. I'll also use a couple in the chameleon enclosure but I think a couple with probes is a good idea too.

Yeah a couple with probes is good but love being able to get up in the morning and download the data and 👀 what the temp / humidity has been that night as I only run my fogger when its the coolest part of the night

Oh no I agree they are good and I use them in the house to keep a check on ambient temperature and humidity and in a Crested Gecko tank and a tree frog tank. I'll also use a couple in the chameleon enclosure but I think a couple with probes is a good idea too.
I agree, I am hoping Govee will start producing one’s with probes. They have a solid but inexpensive base technology. It would not take much for them to make more herp specific stuff. That is my hope anyway

I agree, I am hoping Govee will start producing one’s with probes. They have a solid but inexpensive base technology. It would not take much for them to make more herp specific stuff. That is my hope anyway
The wifi is a game changer, I check it from anywhere, plus it creates a report of humidity averaged out through the night and shows the peaks etc....good to check how the fogger affects with the mist....

Just for the record, I have nothing against the Govee. It's a matter of lifestyle. I'm retired, and—especially during the pandemic—at or close to home. I also don't own a smartphone. The Govee is just overkill for me. I don't need a record of readings that are off—if I see any (and I haven't in 7 months other than changing a basking bulb), I can rectify immediately.

I have a whole new setup going from a hybrid enclosure to open mesh, i'm in California so its been a challenge to get some decent humidity. Comes in handy if you're out of town to be able to tell if theres a problem at home with the enclosure.

Just for the record, I have nothing against the Govee. It's a matter of lifestyle. I'm retired, and—especially during the pandemic—at or close to home. I also don't own a smartphone. The Govee is just overkill for me. I don't need a record of readings that are off—if I see any (and I haven't in 7 months other than changing a basking bulb), I can rectify immediately.

Back
Top Bottom