Gov. exotic animal permits (and an introduction)

Can we petition this law????????

I'm one of those people who have deep seeded hatred of permits and licenses in general. But when there is a legitimate reason and the laws are reasonable I'm not sure it is worth opposing.

Just look through the health clinic forum here for an idea of the suffering caused by people who don't think owning a pet should be work or cost anything. This law could help or hurt the hobby, not sure, but I suspect it will help especially if adopted elsewhere. In my estimation laws like this reduce the chance of a total ban by eliminating the irresponsible behaviors that make governments feel the need to ban a thing.

When choosing between a total ban and a permitting system which do you choose? For a corollary you can look to the hobby of falconry, it is so well self regulated that the hobby can remain viable and strong, and only those dedicated should be participating anyway.

It pains me to say it but I think this kind of law is a good idea.

There are all sorts of reasons we end up with laws and regulations. Some are good ones and some are not. We don't know the original motivation for this particular law.

Who knows...it could have been some pet project of a special interest group (like an AR group that got some state congressional's ear), an attempt by that state to collect information on how many exotic animal dealers, breeders, importers, or pet producers were operating there, an attempt to raise revenue from the exotic pet market, or because someone decided they don't want to take a chance that anything non-native gets established in the wild.

If someone feels a particular law is unjust or unnecessary they can always start a petition to challenge the law or at least get the question added to the next election ballot.

I'm one of those people who have deep seeded hatred of permits and licenses in general. But when there is a legitimate reason and the laws are reasonable I'm not sure it is worth opposing.

It pains me to say it but I think this kind of law is a good idea.

I agree Dan. While I may not need a law to tell me how to run my life responsibly or how to be humane, others do. The sad part is that sometimes laws just send the bad folks deeper underground and make them even more devious and devoted to crime. Some people just feed off the challenge to defy anyone who tries to tell them what to do. Its an ego thing that may have nothing much to do with the topic of the law itself.

I agree Dan. While I may not need a law to tell me how to run my life responsibly or how to be humane, others do. The sad part is that sometimes laws just send the bad folks deeper underground and make them even more devious and devoted to crime. Some people just feed off the challenge to defy anyone who tries to tell them what to do. Its an ego thing that may have nothing much to do with the topic of the law itself.

I agree that this kind of regulation does nothing to stop someone who really just enjoys rebelling. What it does do is limit the keeping and trade among normal people. I suspect most people who aren't responsible keepers are simply ignorant of what they are getting into treating a life like any other object they can buy cheaply. I think requiring extra steps and showing you can care for the animals will weed out the impulse buy for someone wanting to be cool with no regard to the animals welfare.

I do wish the exotic pet trade would self regulate, and the regulations would be friendly and make sense. For example no inexperienced keeper has any business buying a wild caught chameleon.

I see what you guys mean by saying that you agree with this law, and that it would weed out inexperienced people who really should not be responsible for these beautiful animals. The problem is that there are some really really difficult requirements written in these laws, especially for me; I'm not even in high school. I just think that it should be easier. That's all.

Back
Top Bottom