Gourmet feeders coming to east coast.

Cicadas are so cool! My daughter likes to collect the shells lol, just like me! I sure will be catching me a few for Jake.

I'm still trying to figure out how to catch them. I can always hear them, but I never see them. Only their shells, or a dead one here and there. There has to be a way to set a trap for them.....

I'm still trying to figure out how to catch them. I can always hear them, but I never see them. Only their shells, or a dead one here and there. There has to be a way to set a trap for them.....

You know, a trap would likely be the best/easiest way to catch common yearly ones.

I think it would be easy when they are swarming though, just get a 5gallon bucket, and scrape some off a wall :p

The best way to "trap" them that I can think of, would be to get some mesh netting, and make a "tent" all the way around the base of a tree. About 3' up, and about 3' out from the tree. Like a cone see? Do that to a bunch of trees, and check them in the evening and morning.

The one in the video that I fed off, I found while going to check on my chams one night. It was wiggling around on the ground, trying to free itself. I assume it had fell off of a nearby tree. It wouldnt have been able to properly extend its wings without hanging anyway, so I snagged it, and watched it do its thing. It happened so fast, I missed a good deal of it, but it was interesting:

This one, landed upside down in some tall grass right beside me one day:

Ive also caught them after they have ran into walls and such at high speeds, they get stunned for a bit, and are easily caught.

Send enough time outside where they are found, and youll get close enough to snag one.

Back
Top Bottom