Got home and lil guy looks like he is in trouble NEED HELP

Time420

Just got home and Archie looks bad, he was fine this morning idk what is wrong. He has strange bumps on his eyes and they are closed. We just moved 4 days ago other than that everything is the same, he is about to go into a shed but he has never looked like this. He seems very week and not aware of his surroundings. Have a call into my vet but she won't be in till monday. Any ideas on what this could be, I don't want to go to a vet that i have not checked out but if i have to........ Have his how to ask for help info here https://www.chameleonforums.com/settling-still-something-else-39069/

Attachments

• DSCN0649.jpg
    DSCN0649.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCN0650.jpg
    DSCN0650.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCN0651.jpg
    DSCN0651.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 340
Have you checked your temps since the move? To me, he looks hot and possibly burned.

Is it a trick of the camera lens that makes him look so close to the lights in that last picture? I see in your earlier picture of the enclosure that there was considerable space between the branches and the top.

Have you checked your temps since the move? To me, he looks hot and possibly burned.

Is it a trick of the camera lens that makes him look so close to the lights in that last picture? I see in your earlier picture of the enclosure that there was considerable space between the branches and the top.

Temps are the same max is 84F, I got the camera at a odd angle to get him from the side trying to get better view of his eyes.

To me he looks like he is dying. They start to turn black and also really light colors almost like its bleached when they are dying. Im not sure there is much you can do besides rush him to a vet. Check down his throat to see if anything is lodged in there and blocking his airway. Does he look to be struggling for air?

Since you have only had him about a month and your husbandry looks fine, he may have been ill when you bought him. You may want to contact the seller to see if they would be willing to work something out with you. I agree with Cainschams, it doesn't look good.

What do you think is happening with the eyes?

I wonder if anyone knows of a more "full time" vet in his area. Monday is a really long way away.

I hope he does not die i would be heart broken :( I have a call into another vet but they are over an hr and a half away and i would not make it in time. I can take him tomorrow after work, i only hope he can hold on that long. Just crushes me that he was fine this morning and now like this. Hope it was not anything i did. He seems to be breathing fine, not fighting for air, he is just staying in the same spot not moving and having eyes closed.

You posted this and said he was going for a super. Does that mean a superworm? When was the last time he pooped? Superworms are way too much for a little guy like this to handle.

04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Time420
Member Join Date: Jan 2010

yeah they are fast, I did not think they were THAT fast!!! Was funny just this morning he was going for a super off a vine but got his own tail instead, he shot it pulled it back and bit it once LOL He quickly realized what he had done and spit it out

You posted this and said he was going for a super. Does that mean a superworm? When was the last time he pooped? Superworms are way too much for a little guy like this to handle.

04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Time420
Member Join Date: Jan 2010

yeah they are fast, I did not think they were THAT fast!!! Was funny just this morning he was going for a super off a vine but got his own tail instead, he shot it pulled it back and bit it once LOL He quickly realized what he had done and spit it out

saw him poop yesterday, looked good. They were micro super worms, were about the same size maybe lil longer than the 1/4 crix but not near as fat. At the time i wrote that.

for one thing both your uvb and that other light (whatever it is) are too close. it is likely that there are significant supplementation issues as well. you are using too much calcium and too much multivite, especially if it is applied heavily. too much calcium will inhibit the absorbtion and utilization of D3 ( no you cannot make up for that by adding more D3, too much D3 will lead to calcification of tissues). i would use the red cap miner-all 2x a week, the pink repcal (with d3) once a week at most, and the herptivite once a month at most, and use them sparingly, if your feeders look like ghosts after you dust them, you are using way too much. your temp gun does not measure ambient air temp, it measures surface temp of solid objects. dimmers often do not hold constant temps, you would be better off using a smaller bulb at full brightness. i didnt see a dripper, but one would be advised even with a misting system, there should be water available all of the time. i would double check and rethink all of your temps and distances, a vet is strongly recomended. here is a listing of amphibian and reptile(arav)vets in ohio; Daniel Meakin
All Creatures Animal Hospital
1894 Ohio Pike
Amelia, OH 45102-2043 Christie Hicks
Six Flags Worlds of Adventure
1060 N Aurora Rd
Aurora, OH 44202 Dr Frank Krupka
Avon Lake Animal Clinic
124 Miller Road
Avon Lake, OH 44012 Robert G Sigler DVM
1143 Lockwook Rd.
Barberton, OH 44203 Christopher Bonar
10801 Fitzwater Rd.
Brecksville, OH 44141 Scott Pendleton
43255 Airport Rd
Cadiz, OH 43907 Jessica Duke
Colerain Animal Clinic
6340 Colerain Ave
Cincinnati, OH 45240 Dr Mark K. Campbell
3455 Whitfield Ave
Cincinnati, OH 45220-1556 Paul LeVitas
3175 Linwood Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45208 Dr. Timothy J Mullican
PO Box 43515
Cincinnati, OH 45243 Gregory P. Levens DVM
3827 Paxton Ave
Apt 643
Cincinnati, OH 45209-2417 Dr Donald L. Burton
Animal Care Unlimited
2665 Billingsley Rd
Columbus, OH 43235-1904 Dr. Ann Crafton
8462 Nuthatch Way
Columbus, OH 43235 Angela C. Melton-Remley
The Ohio State University
College of Veterinary Medicine
1840 Merganser Run Dr
Columbus, OH 43215 Heather Skaggs
249 Rosslyn Ave
Columbus, OH 43214 Dr Robert L. Nathan
4601 Pinewood Path
Copley, OH 44321 Dr Tobi Pledger
135 Hunt Club Dr Apt 3B
Copley, OH 44321-2707 Dr Paul A. Stull
102 E Spring Valley Rd
Dayton, OH 45458 Dr John R. Shuler
Horizon Animal Hosp
933 Bucyrus Rd
Galion, OH 44833 Jeffrey S Stillie DVM
619 Favony
Holland, OH 43528 Dr Vicki Wendt
1458 W 117th St
Lakewood, OH 44107-5102 Dr Lori A. Koenig
Lakewood Animal Hospital
14572 Madison Ave
Lakewood, OH 44107 Dr Ann L. Manharth
5457 So. Garrett Dr
Milford, OH 45150 Dr Heather McDowell
34910 Center Ridge Rd
North Ridgeville, OH 44039 Dr Gary Riggs
Barberton Vet Clinic
4873 Richland Ave
Norton, OH 44203-6291 J. John Ryan Kottwitz
12079 Harmon Rd
Pickerington, OH 43147 Gwen E. Myers DVM
Columbus Zoo & Aquarium
9990 Riverside Dr
Box 400
Powell, OH 43065-0400 Dr Michael T. Barrie
Director of Animal Health
Columbus Zoo
9990 Riverside Dr Box 400
Powell, OH 43065-0400 Dr Michael S. Renner
Columbus Zoo
9990 Riverside Dr
PO Box 400
Powell, OH 43065-0400 Jonathan M. White
Indian Creek Vet Hospital
295 Lancaster Ave
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1192 Dr Amy M. Hayward
14678 Snyder Rd
Richwood, OH 43344-9231 Dr Wynona Shellabarger
Toledo Zoo
PO Box 140130
Toledo, OH 43614-0801 Kirsten Love
607 Pine Valley Ln Apt 104
Toledo, OH 43615-7771 Dr Michael P. Myers
Hartman Vet Hospital Inc
3924 Airport Hwy
Toledo, OH 43615-7108 Dr Tim Reichard
Toledo Zoo
PO Box 140130
Toledo, OH 43614-0801 Julie A. Sheil, DVM
Belvoir Pet Hospital
2395 Channing Rd
University Heights, OH 44118 Dr Bradley H. Reiser
Northwest Vet Hospital
PO Box 321
Wauseon, OH 43567-0321 Dr. William Hradil
1851 Old Furnace Rd.
Youngstown, OH 44511-1339
jmo

Last edited:
Oh, I thought maybe a super bit his eye. Are you holding him, is he responding at all?

Took him out to look down his throat, he opened his eyes and gaped moved very slow, after 5 sec he settled down and just sat there with eyes closed again. had to take him off my finger and put him back on the branch because he would not climb back in on his own.

Molly's eyes looked just like that. She had an eye infection. I don't know if his eyes were like that for a couple days though, eye infections don't pop up like that during during the day.

Molly's eyes looked just like that. She had an eye infection. I don't know if his eyes were like that for a couple days though, eye infections don't pop up like that during during the day.

He was fine yesterday i was looking at him for some time, and no problems this morning that i noticed.

Thanks xantho for the list i'm calling around now.

Well found a vet yesterday but they were closing and i could not afford the emergency vet cost so was going to take him today at 12pm. He looked better this morning his eyes looked normal (not bulged out like yesterday) and open he was moving around a bit but still slow, i gave him some water by hand with dripper before i left for work. When i got home at 11:30 three hours later i'm devastated to say he had passed when i was at work. I don't know what could have gone wrong except for us moving to our new house or the lights might have been too close or my supplements like xantho said, but the closest branch was 6inches from lights and i got supplement schedule from this site (not gonna say any names). I will be taking a serous look at my husbandry. Any ideas on what it could have been or what i could do different would be appreciated. I'm just beating myself up for letting my lil guy down, and it resulting with his death :(

I am so sorry for your loss and it can and does happen. The best we can do is learn from the experience to be a better keeper for the next cham. It often happens that fast and unexpectently. Again I am sorry you lost your cham.

Check the area for venomous spiders, I have had spiderbites on my chams before. He looked seriously ill in the pics, almost too hot or burned as Elizadolots mentioned. Is his enclosure in a window where the sun comes in during the day? It is strange for him to become so ill so quickly.

I'm so sorry. As draetish says, you just have to learn from it so you can do better with the next one. One thing to keep in mind is when they are hunting prey they sometimes stand up on their hind legs and reach way up and out with their heads to get in position. Even a small chameleon can get very close to, or up against, something that's only 6 inches away.

Next time I'd recommend keeping the lights off the top of the cage (I know, the reptile store that sold me mine said it was okay to put them right on the cage, it was a bad idea). Every chameleon I've known has tried to climb on the ceiling at least once.

Back
Top Bottom