Got a new veiled chameleon last night! First time!

Thank you! If you take the substrate out and add a drainage system and more branches, vines, and plant cover, he’ll be fine until after Christmas. Automated misters are easier if you can afford them. I’d recommend a MistKing or CliMist. An Exo Terra Monsoon Multi will also do, but some people have problems with them. Or you can make your own! With a glass cage, you probably won’t be able to mist as long as 2 minutes without seriously raising the humidity above what’s recommended for a veiled (40-70%). Live plants also help raise humidity. A digital reptile thermometer/hygrometer combo from the pet store with probes always works for humidity and basking temperature monitoring. I use them as well as a temp gun and digital thermometer/hygrometer combo from the hardware store.
How would you recommend adding a drainage system?

How would you recommend adding a drainage system?
For an easy fix, I’d get some egg crate/lighting diffuser from the hardware store, cut it to the size of the bottom of the cage, layer it up, and add a moss mat over it so he can’t drink the standing water. Then, when the water level reaches the moss mat, siphon out the water. Again, let me know if you need more explaining!

Also, if you or someone you know is at least somewhat handy, you can easily build a big cage very cheap!

Also, if you or someone you know is at least somewhat handy, you can easily build a big cage very cheap!
Okay, I'm sorry, but I am just not following about the purpose of a drainage system. Is this for the water pump that I have so that I can still use it to have water going down my stump or what?

Okay, I'm sorry, but I am just not following about the purpose of a drainage system. Is this for the water pump that I have so that I can still use it to have water going down my stump or what?
No problem! It’s for all of the excess water from the dripper and mistings. It’s purpose is to have no exposed standing water that you’re cham can drink and get sick off of.

It recycles the water and flows through the stump and slowly flows down it.
I’d toss or sell it. Zoo Med has Little and Big Drippers that aren’t too expensive if you don’t want to make your own. I’d recommend that instead. With chameleons, even with proper biological and chemical filtration, it’s tricky using recycled water.

I’d toss or sell it. Zoo Med has Little and Big Drippers that aren’t too expensive if you don’t want to make your own. I’d recommend that instead. With chameleons, even with proper biological and chemical filtration, it’s tricky using recycled water.
That really sucks because I just spent $50 on that thing

Back
Top Bottom