Good or bad idea?

bryantt

Hi,

So I have a veiled cham, Rio. He's 14 months weight (unknown) length 17"
He has a glass viv with mesh top 45x45x90

UV bulbs 10.0 and 2 35w basking bulbs.
Inside his viv its all kitted out lots of vines different branches etc.

My schedule with work has changed slightly meaning Im unable to give him the same level of care. Pretty much everyday I would let him out to free roam from 30 minutes to 1hr 30. Hes extremely tolerant, and really enjoys coming out and peaching on his tree to view the world go by through the window.( I say this as every time I walk in the room hes waiting clutching at the doors very eager to come out)

Since my schedule has changes I only have time to do the feeds and misting and cleaning I'm not at home enough during day time hours to let him out and monitor him free roaming.

So this is my proposal,

When I leave for work etc -To keep him in the room he is in, which is moderately small, keep his viv doors open, place his tree directly outside his viv and use the connecting vines as path/ladders for him to be able to either perch outside his viv on the tree or explore the room.

I don't propose to do this everyday just half of the week perhaps, allowing him some more breathing room and so he can stretch his legs.

My only concern is that whilst his enjoying roaming he will just remain out of his viv and not bask and take in the UV or by nature will he know to sit under his light mainly?

I just some opinions as to whether this was a silly idea or beneficial for my little mate as I feel so bad him just sitting there like an ornament.

Thanks

Well I think he would find his basking light just fine if he needs to warm up. That being said it's always been my practice to never leave an uncaged cham unattended too much can go wrong. So yah in my opinion it would probably be a bad idea. Good luck. :)

Heh my cham never, ever stays on his free range tree. and he will only return to it if he feels too cold or if I bribe him there with a silkworm. Or if I'm watching him like a hawk. Then he will sit there perfectly content... until I take my eyes off him. There have been a few panicked chameleon-hunts in my apartment!

I wouldn't leave him unattended. My boys end up in some crazy places when I am gone for a bathroom break.

Mine never tries to find his way back to his enclosure. I have to keep an eye on him because he will end up in sleeping position on his fav vine, all dark cause of the lack of heat after a while

Hi,

My schedule with work has changed slightly meaning Im unable to give him the same level of care. Pretty much everyday I would let him out to free roam from 30 minutes to 1hr 30. Hes extremely tolerant, and really enjoys coming out and peaching on his tree to view the world go by through the window.( I say this as every time I walk in the room hes waiting clutching at the doors very eager to come out)

Since my schedule has changes I only have time to do the feeds and misting and cleaning I'm not at home enough during day time hours to let him out and monitor him free roaming.

So this is my proposal,

When I leave for work etc -To keep him in the room he is in, which is moderately small, keep his viv doors open, place his tree directly outside his viv and use the connecting vines as path/ladders for him to be able to either perch outside his viv on the tree or explore the room.

I don't propose to do this everyday just half of the week perhaps, allowing him some more breathing room and so he can stretch his legs.

My only concern is that whilst his enjoying roaming he will just remain out of his viv and not bask and take in the UV or by nature will he know to sit under his light mainly?

I just some opinions as to whether this was a silly idea or beneficial for my little mate as I feel so bad him just sitting th
He might fall n break a leg,its like a baby without the supervision,try get a all screen side big huge cage rather than the glass

So this is my proposal,

I just some opinions as to whether this was a silly idea or beneficial for my little mate as I feel so bad him just sitting there like an ornament.

Thanks
He might fall n break a leg,its like a baby without the supervision,try get a all screen side big huge cage rather than the glass viv mesh top so he wont feel like be in a jail cell with stagnant air,always planning his next jail break....yup....yup

He might fall n break a leg,its like a baby without the supervision,try get a all screen side big huge cage rather than the glass viv mesh top so he wont feel like be in a jail cell with stagnant air,always planning his next jail break....yup....yup

Do you have any recommendations for mesh cages? I wasn't sure if this has affected his wellbeing ona whole. I have notices others with male veiled saying they eat anything from 5-10 locusts a day!? When mine was younger he used to eat tones of crickets a day now he will barely eat 1 locust a day, im not sure how to encourage more eating hes just so fussy, any fast moving bugs scare him so im stuck...

Back
Top Bottom