Going to the vet, Help!

Melvin

My yemen cham is 3 months and have a respiratory infection, beside that he looks very happy and he have a nice color :) He's also very tame and I can hand feed him. We are going to the vet in three days. How is he going to handel the trip? Will he be stressed up? It's 44 degrees outside what should i bring him in when we are going to the vet? I read that i should put him in a towel. But should I put him in a plastic box with a vine and a towel in it? Will he be ok after the visit?

Im sorry for asking so many questions, but I just want to be sure that he makes it.

At that big, its body dosent hold much thermal mass, so any comfortable measure you use to protect against extremes of temp hot/cold will be good.
Im sure it will be fine, though the trip may stress it a little bit, so leave it undisturbed as much as possible for a few days after you return home. :)

You can put the chameleon in a snake bag and then put the snake bag in a box used for shipping w/ styrofoam sides for insulation. Then pre-heat your car and quickly get the chameleon moved from the house to the car. Hope this helps!!!!

Probabley an injection under the skin. Though I would think it would be an initial 'generic' antibiotic that works well with gram negative bacteria. (most respiratory related infections seem to be gram negative). A swab of its mouth might be done to determin this (it will be cultured/grown) then a specific targeting antibiotic can be given if its something that requires it.
Follow up shots may be needed possibly.

Where can i get the snake bag and the shipping box? Im from sweden so i dont know what a snake bag is :p

A pillowcase turned inside out (no loose threads to entangle) will be just as good. Any drink cooler/esky of apt size will serve. :)

So ill just put the cham in the pillowcase (inside out) and then put the pillowcase in the drink cooler while the cham is in it?

Yes, otherwise you defeat its insulation properties. There is plenty of air inside for the lizard, but you could make a few small holes if you wish.
How long will you need to be traveling? is 44 degrees celcuis or farenhieght?

edit: sorry just read Sweden, Ill take that as farenhight then, which is quite cool 6c. If the journey is short, it should be fine in the cooler, perhaps wrap a towel around the cooler and place it on the floor so some ambient engine heat warms it.
If the journey is long, you might wrap a bottle of hot water and secure it inside the cooler so that it cant roll on the lizard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom