Going To The Bottom Of The Cage

AmberNichole

I have a panther chameleon that is about 2 1/2 years old. He was very neglected, but has become almost 100% within the last few months.

Lately he has be sitting at the bottom of his cage. He tried to climb up (ignores the vines) the sides of the cage, but he doesn't seems to have a strong enough grip to climb up the mesh. He is very tame and doesn't mind handling at all. I "help" him up a couple times a day and he goes from dark drab, to his normal colors wen i put him back in his normal spot. He still eats daily and drinks, but is definitely not as interested in food as he used to be. There are no good reptile vets within a 100 miles of me, but I have taken him to a get once when he was malnourished.

Before When I first got him
2013-04-02084906_zps35062336.jpg

After (just a few weeks ago, or so)
2013-05-21122525_zps69950d98.jpg

I have a few chameleons that are doing fine under these husbandry practices of mine, but I figure it wouldn't hurt....

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

2 1/2yo neglected male

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Approximately 5 times a week, only to put them in their outdoor cages.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

Roaches. For him two adult roaches daily. I gutload with various fresh fruit and veggies and try to make collard greens(with bee pollen) a staple.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

I use Repashy Calcium Plus with every feeding, Calcium with D3 once a month (they get natural sunlight), and Repashy's Reptivite twice a month.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

Mist King, as well as daily hand mistings. Oh and sprinklers for the outside cages

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

he is captive bred, but did get a fecal done when I first got him. Feces are dark and white.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Just the fact that he was neglected severely.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Large screen caging. Not sure of the dimensions exactly, 2'x2'x5' ish? His outdoor cage is smaller 18"x18"x4' ish?

2013-04-29162559_zps0c85244a.jpg

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

Large Zoo Med 5.0 UVB. They also get daily natural sun as the weather permits. ( I am in South Florida)

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

Truthfully I am not 100% sure. I use a flood light and keep my house at 75 degrees. Works for the all the other panthers I have. The cages are larges so they can more around all they need to. He moves lower even with he lights off, even outside, it is not a temperature issue.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

Mist King keeps the levels up indoors, as well as a humidifier if need be. Outdoors right now humidity is perfect when I live.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Typical, standard live plants commonly used.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Top of the cage is probably 8' off of the floor. Not too much traffic, no vents, but good airflow.

Location - Where are you geographically located?

South West Florida

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Staying at the bottom of the cage, less interest in food.

If There is a chameleon in that third cage they are probably unhappy. They need to be off of the ground, they are tree dwelling animals and like to be up high

Back
Top Bottom