Gnat-eaters

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
Anyone with a gnat problem (but not with a veiled) can consider these-Mexican butterworts. I went into garage and pulled a few from under the lights to make a temporary centerpiece. Even if not in the enclosure, if they are in the room they will attract and trap them. The second pic is a type of utricularia (they look like bunny faces...) which are the real gnat killers. Their underground traps eat the larvae that are in the soil. I have them planted in the nepenthes pots in my enclosures.

Attachments

• Ping garden 3 21.jpg
    Ping garden 3 21.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Utric sandersonii 3 21.jpg
    Utric sandersonii 3 21.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 82
That is absolutely gorgeous! 😍 I wonder if they’re available here in Hawaii? I’m gonna have to do some research and maybe make a couple trips to the nurseries. I’ve already got my eyes on a pitcher plant 🤩

Last edited:
Because a veiled hunts them down (I know Bella is pretty occupied with them) or because the plant is danger for Veileds?
Interesting with your veiled but I don't think my lazy lunk would bother with a gnat :)

I have no idea of their toxicity but I did not want to suggest them with veiled because if they eat them, it could be bad for the veiled-and definitely would be bad for the butterwort!
That is absolutely gorgeous! 😍 I wonder if they’re available here in Hawaii? I’m gonna have to do some research and maybe make a couple trips to the nurseries. I’ve already got my eyes on a pitcher plant 🤩
Be careful you will get hooked. If not locally available you can mail order. Or if you can find a local carnivorous plant group that is a good hookup. Easy to propagate from leaves.

Or if you can find a local carnivorous plant group that is a good hookup. Easy to propagate from leaves.
Tee-hee 😊 There's a nursery near us that carries ~270 species of carnivorous plants. We haven't been there yet (still closed for the season) but ASAP after they open, we have a road trip planned. (y)

Back
Top Bottom