Gnat control solutions + other questions.

Crusader14

I've seen a lot of threads on this, but none of them seem to provide conclusive solutions. I have a major gnat problem in my veiled's enclosure, and they're starting to get everywhere. They're also rendering my springtails useless. Is there any way to eradicate the population without harming my cham or his food? Also besides springtails, are there insects that can be introduced to the enclosure to eliminate waste?

My second question is regarding plants. I made a thread about plant lighting not too long ago, and I did invest in a t5ho fixture for uvb and plant growth, but it doesnt seem to be helping. My plants look more dead than ever, and even my pothos has completely died. I read somewhere that bsfl frass can be used as fertilizer, so I tried to add them to the soil and see what happens, but im kind of skeptical (heres the link where i found that information: https://www.thecritterdepot.com/blo...f-black-soldier-fly-larva-frass-critter-depot). Ugh idk what to do. Im considering adding geraniums and passion flowers to his enclosure but im not sure if i should just throw them in the cage or properly plant them so id like some advice on that.

As for gnats/fruit flies, one simple solution would be to put in a trap. I personally use a pureed piece of fruit (usually banana or pear) mixed into a cup of water with about a half teaspoon of dish washing liquid. Put that in a container that a cham can't knock over and cover it with mesh that the flies can get in, like the plastic canvas they sell at michaels or hobby lobby. Alternatively you could probably do some cheap Tupperware container, cut a small hole or two in the lid for the flies to get in.

As for something to eat the cham waste, bsfl would be able to, for sure. The problem, at least as I see it is that the cham poo is probably spread all around the cage. For it to really work the way you are thinking, I believe you would almost have to set up a false bottom with 2 slanting sides that funneled the waste down to the bin with the bsfl below. The benefit of this kind of setup would be awesome free feeders when the larvae hatched out into flying adults. I tried my hand at culturing bsf's with decent success and I fed off 50 adults to my chams who ate them like popcorn.

As for your plants, it's hard to kill pothos. Did they get overwatered and the roots rot out, or are they down low and got no light at all because of higher foliage?

I had the same issue with gnats until I spoke to a rep from Mistking. He had told me high humidity is good but add stagnant air and you will get gnats. So he recommend for me to add a PC fan on top of the cage for air circulation. I’m a week or so I had no more gnats! This made the wife happy and stop me from getting nagged at lol:ROFLMAO:

You can use isopods as a clean up crew.
To get rid of the gnats you can use nematodes. If you add isopods the isopods and springtails will eventually out compete the gnats.
will the nemotodes kill the bslf, earthworms, springtails and isopods i put in the soil?

will the nemotodes kill the bslf, earthworms, springtails and isopods i put in the soil?

I don’t think they would bother the earthworms , spring tails, or isopods. I’m not sure about the bsfl though. They eat the larva stage of the the gnats so they may eat the BSFl as well.

if you have all those in there they should out compete the gnats eventually. I have never used nematodes just let my clean up crew take over and no more gnat problem.

no i got a plant light and uvb, both are t5h0. i got the plant light from biodude. thinking about getting another plant light tho.

im letting a carolina mantis ooth hatch in the cages.... we'll see how that goes. Im doing it more out of curiosity than anything.

Back
Top Bottom