Glass?

littleliz

I am curious about the amount of UV through glass? First of all let me just emphersize that none of my chams are in glass vivs or are put near windows to get UV etc but I was just wondering if the windows in America (which I understand have glass which is designed to not let UV through) are different to the windows in the UK? I certainly have caught the sun through car windows but not sure about house windows. I know this is probably not really relevant to anything but once I think of something like this I have to know the answer LOL :p

I used my UVB meter to measure exactly that. It was a whopping measurement of zero.

Right next to the glass it was a 9.

This was in my livingroom/sunroom and the UVB outside was around 200. So quite a reduction.

This is not enough to accomplish anything really.

Hope this answers your question.

how often you get sun?? I was in london for two months and never saw a sunny day. It's never sunny in England LOL:cool:

how often you get sun?? I was in london for two months and never saw a sunny day. It's never sunny in England LOL:cool:

:D ...one of the reasons we have to sometimes resort to glass / combo vivs ;)
............and an umbrella :D
Oh to be in a permanent warm sunny climate :(

Could one of you or more is better, reccomend a good UVB meter that doesn't cost a fortune? I bought what I thought was a UVB meter, a digital LUX meter, but it isn't for UVB. Still don't know what to do with it.:(:eek:
I would feel better if I have a good EASY to use UVB meter as my chams also don't get a lot of sun.:(

I live in Ohio and during spring, summer, and fall we get great direct sunlight through our window. Once the sun hits, I turn off the basking light, and the chams. bask in the natural sun light. I still keep on the uvb 5.0, but the chameleons are very happy and healthy so it seems to work. This will depend on wher you live as the other mentioned it rains every day where they live so it prob. would have little success. If your in say sunny florida next to a window id say you will be fine. Just keep an eye on heat.

Could one of you or more is better, reccomend a good UVB meter that doesn't cost a fortune? I bought what I thought was a UVB meter, a digital LUX meter, but it isn't for UVB. Still don't know what to do with it.:(:eek:
I would feel better if I have a good EASY to use UVB meter as my chams also don't get a lot of sun.:(

I think for uvb meter i would go with Solarmeter 6.2

Could one of you or more is better, reccomend a good UVB meter that doesn't cost a fortune? I bought what I thought was a UVB meter, a digital LUX meter, but it isn't for UVB. Still don't know what to do with it...
Howdy Laurie,

A luxmeter is a great way to measure the intensity of visible light :). As you move lighting, whether basking or overall ambient, a luxmeter will help you understand the effects of the changes that you make.

As was already mentioned, the Solarmeter 6.2 is the one to get. With a little luck, you should be able to locate a new one for under ~$160. If you find a good deal on a used one, there should be no problem with it. Just make sure it is a Solarmeter 6.2 and not any other make or model.

Wow yes that is very informative and amazing! Zero UV through glass where ever we live LOL. Thank you very much :)

In answer to how ofter do we get sun...well not very often which is why its the English and mad dogs that go out in the midday sun tee hee. We like to make the most of it when we do get a bit sunshine. Sooo does anyone know how much UV our chams get if they are outside in the sun inside a black flexi? I do sometimes do this WHEN we get nice enough weather (in the UK ofcase)

Back
Top Bottom