Glass terrarium?

jacksontrident

I have a mister going almost all of the day. I can only keep the humidity up by having a glass terrariumwith a large screen top. I have an oscillating fan that creates good airflow in the tank. Is it still bad to have a glass terrarium?

There are lots of people who keep chams in glass. In some parts of the world most chams are in glass. What is important is that all of your chameleons needs are met. Could you tell me about your cham & set up? A picture would be great also. I can most likely help you tweak it to work.:D:D

A few suggestions to help keep humidity up.

Hydro Balls, ( a small clay expanded ball substrate, each ball is m&m sized, expect round, these are great for keeping humidity up in my experience. )

Spaghnum or Terrarium Moss, ( Moss retains moisture and evaporates slowly)

Keep the door to the reptile room closed.(open doors allow more evaporation)

Live plants, ( live plants increase the water retention and humidity in the room as well)

Hope this helps you out.

no glass terrarium are not bad, if they are needed. i live in a very dry climate, and my exo-terra glass terrarium is a must.

no glass terrarium are not bad, if they are needed. i live in a very dry climate, and my exo-terra glass terrarium is a must.

why dont you use a screen cage with lots of live plants to give more humidity?
they need alot off air flow in there cage, i would think a glass terratium would only work with a cham if you keep the doors open 24/7.
also if they like walking all over there cage like my males do the glass is just going to sress them cause they cant climb all over there cage anymore. i also have a terrerium but that only for a laying bin for my female veiled but i dont keep any chams in there, they are always trying to climb on the glass

If it is an actual terrarium and not an aquarium with a lid you're in good shape. They are designed to give sufficient airflow but still keep humidity up.

I have 2 issues with glass personally that keep me from using it:

1: My chameleon kept firing up at his reflection in the glass which is unnecessary stress.
2: Glass is way more expensive for a compatible size.

I have a mister going almost all of the day. I can only keep the humidity up by having a glass terrariumwith a large screen top. I have an oscillating fan that creates good airflow in the tank. Is it still bad to have a glass terrarium?

Your chameleon can tell you the answer to this to a certain extent as well. Is it still eating and drinking regularly? Good weight? Good color? Moving around normally, moving up to bask and throughout the cage to hunt?

If the chameleon seems in good health and thriving in the tank, then yep, I'd say it's working. :) What you're describing with the air flow sounds like what's needed to keep it ventilated enough, and a previous poster already listed several excellent ways to increase humidity and decrease how much you have that mister going.

-Jen

I love glass terrariums. For airflow I hooked up a small computer fan to pull air from the lower vent to creat a light flow. The reason i dont use em is drainage Is a pain. and I don't need It for humidity. I have a 125 gallon turtle tank next to him. That room stays sbout 60% humidity

I use to have a hard time with humidity...that was when I had only one cham ;) Now that I have 8 in the chameleon room I have NO problem with humidity...I have three rain domes on different cages so all together that is 13 misters going off 4 times a day...Now I can't get the room to go below 50% and that is in AZ with humidity in the low teens. Moral: If you are having a hard time with humidity just get more chams :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I use to have a hard time with humidity...that was when I had only one cham ;) Now that I have 8 in the chameleon room I have NO problem with humidity...I have three rain domes on different cages so all together that is 13 misters going off 4 times a day...Now I can't get the room to go below 50% and that is in AZ with humidity in the low teens. Moral: If you are having a hard time with humidity just get more chams :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thats a a good one!

I have live plants in mine and surround the cage with live plants as well.

He is a 3-4 month old jacksons in a 2 by 2 4 cage. He moves normally, drinks, hunts etc. throughout the cage.
Thanks for all of your suggestions! :D

ps: I have started using a computer fan...works great!

why dont you use a screen cage with lots of live plants to give more humidity?
they need alot off air flow in there cage, i would think a glass terratium would only work with a cham if you keep the doors open 24/7.
also if they like walking all over there cage like my males do the glass is just going to sress them cause they cant climb all over there cage anymore. i also have a terrerium but that only for a laying bin for my female veiled but i dont keep any chams in there, they are always trying to climb on the glass

This terrarium is made to let air flow. I do have plants inside and they help with humidity. I also have plenty of vines for climbing. My little guy, as he is still young, is not bothered by his reflection. I live in a very dry climate, so I do what I need to do to keep my cham with some humidity.

There are lots of people who keep chams in glass. In some parts of the world most chams are in glass. What is important is that all of your chameleons needs are met. Could you tell me about your cham & set up? A picture would be great also. I can most likely help you tweak it to work.:D:D

ditto
If your glass terrarium has some low placed vents, there is going to be airflow as the heat rises out and draws in fresh air

Back
Top Bottom