Glass Tank

daley

so i got a free glass tank after it got a crack in it, its an exo-terra glass tank with a mesh top. its dimensions are 2ft high x 2ft x 18inch

so im in the process of making a dripper and was wanting your input for the best method. :)

now the tank has two doors. i was thinking about putting a mesh front on one door panel so i gets more ventilation. im in the UK so has anyone got any ideas where i can get some mesh and the best way to mount it on the tank?

much love;)

Hello, I have the exact same tank and issue. I was going to take off the old doors and use strong magnets to attach a screen cover to the front. That way I have a big easy to remove opening. I would recommend checking out member silk Jim's first build forum because there he list a link he using to get mesh, I believe in the UK.

Good luck.

What kind of Cham are you going to be keeping, I have been told that glass tanks dont really work. I have seen pygmy's kept in similar set ups to what you have gotten. The main thing would be getting enough circulation which you may solve by removing the front doors and adding a mesh screen front. Use the search to check out some of the pygmy set up's, you may like them and they wont outgrow a tank that size.

i have a 5 month old veiled. i am planning on making a mesh set up when i can afford it at the end on summer

im just contemplating the best way to add the mesh

Ive heard that glass tanks are bad because the chameleon can mistake his/her relflection with another chameleon. This makes them feel less safe and causes stress and in this case can even lower the immune system of the chameleon making it more susceptible to diseases. My source is the lady i work with at the pet store who had and bred chameleons.

if the tank is an exoterra, you should be ok, especially if it's a montane species. They have a screen strip just below the doors which casues a convection current and pulls air in and out through the top. If you search this site for exoterra, you will find a post by Chris Anderson about keeping chams in exoterras.

Ive heard that glass tanks are bad because the chameleon can mistake his/her relflection with another chameleon.

I've often used glass or plexi or acrylic, and I've never had a cham see its own reflection, respond to a reflection, or paw at the glass.

The construction of the enclosure is less important than maintaining the right environment within it. Glass enclosures retain heat and humidity better than screen cages. So you'll want to be aware of this and set-up accordingly. The exoterra probably has a vent strip along the front, under the doors. This, along with the mesh on top and good placement of the heat lamp should provide sufficient ventilation / air circulation. But the 2 foot height is going to be insufficient for an adult male veilded

When you have a glass enclosure like an exoterra, you do NOT need to mist as often and must be careful of getting it overwet. Too much dampness is not a good thing. The nice thing about exoterra is that they come in something like 8 sizes but I think the tallest is 24". Last time I checked there was not a size 36" in height. You can make a combination screen and plexi enclosure yourself with some pet screen and the metal strips used to house the screen (you use spine to install the screen). Just plan it out ahead of time so you get the plexiglass where you want it. You can also buy a screen cage commercially, put it together and then cover whatever portions you want with plexiglass. I've done this on the bottom to create a plantable area.

Back
Top Bottom