Glass enclousures, The final word

daveo

Established Member
So I am going to get back into the Chameleon world and would like to set up my cage in the basement of my home. It gets chilly down there especially in the winter. I know I need to keep the humidity up as well as the temperature in the 75-80 degree range with a warmer basking spot. I have successfully kept rioceros jacksonii but i kept them in a warmer room in my house. I want to try keeping a Furcifer pardalis and i know they need higher temps than the Jacksonii. I am also trying to use scientific names more so please correct me if I am using the names incorrectly. :) I have a homemade cage that is 24/24/60 so I am sure it will be big enough but it is wire mesh on all sides and i am concerned about keeping the cage temps up when the room is chilly. I am thinking of changing the mesh to glass but I know in the past people have said not to use glass as it does not have good airflow. So what do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
I had my panther in the basement for the first 3.5 years of his life. I covered 3/4 sides of his cage with plastic drop cloth material. Helps keep humidity and some heat in but still allows airflow through the front and top. Never had a problem and winter temps down there were prolly 65-67? Maybe slightly cooler. I just used a little bigger heat bulb in the winter for him.

Like he said, Panthers need high day temps, however night temps should drop to 60-65. As long as your basement doesn't drop to below 50, then dont worry. Put a basking bulb that can heat it enough.

That said you can cover 3 sides of your enclosure, however I would not suggest glass. Glass is reflective so the chameleon will see it self (stressful). It would be better cheaper and more practical to use PVC, if you use white PVC, it would also reflect light and heat back into the cage as it hits the walls. If you leave the door and top screen you should have enough ventilation.

That said you can cover 3 sides of your enclosure, however I would not suggest glass. Glass is reflective so the chameleon will see it self (stressful). It would be better cheaper and more practical to use PVC, if you use white PVC, it would also reflect light and heat back into the cage as it hits the walls. If you leave the door and top screen you should have enough ventilation.

The reflection argument about glass terrariums is largely a myth. I've never had a problem with it, and I use glass terrariums exclusively. Glass terrariums will be more expensive and heavier than PVC sided enclosures, however, as you said. Comes down to personal preference. I like the look of the glass terrariums personally.

Chris

Chris,

Are your enclosures all glass or do you have part screen?

He uses ones with ventilation, see here. http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html

My issues with glass are mostly, how would you build it? You cant buy one that I have ever seen. The largest glass I have ever seen is 36 inches tall which is not big enough for a panther right?

If you built one and used glass doors, that would work just add ventilation. I wish there was glass ones with drainage and 45inch + height. I would buy that.

Last edited:
Chris,

Are your enclosures all glass or do you have part screen?

I use the Exo Terra Glass Terrariums with have a screen top and a ventilation bar in the front under the doors. Here is another thread about it in addition to the link posted above:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/for-everyone-who-knows-you-cant-keep-chams-in-glass.31937/

He uses ones with ventilation, see here. http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html

My issues with glass are mostly, how would you build it? You cant buy one that I have ever seen. The largest glass I have ever seen is 36 inches tall which is not big enough for a panther right?

If you built one and used glass doors, that would work just add ventilation. I wish there was glass ones with drainage and 45inch + height. I would buy that.

Building your own would be difficult and would take some skill. I do think the 36"x18"x36" glass terrariums would be large enough for a panther or veiled. The internal volume is not much smaller than a 2'x2'x4' enclosure. Of course it would take different husbandry methods, particularly with regard to misting.

Chris

The reflection argument about glass terrariums is largely a myth. I've never had a problem with it, and I use glass terrariums exclusively.
Chris

Having seen this first hand, I think it could be individual. My first male veiled was kept in a mostly glass enclosure and he definitely displayed to his reflection. It tended to be in one specific panel so I suspected the angle of the lighting just happened to create the right situation. He sat close to that part of the cage fired up with extended gular for a lot of his time. There was no view of any other tanks or pets, just a wood paneled wall behind the cage. When I covered that panel his behavior changed. Funny, right after I put a piece of board over the "offending" glass he even tried to squeeze between it and the glass as if he just knew his rival was still behind it somewhere. After I fussed with the lighting and non-reflective materials he gave it up.

I also had a wc verrucosus who focused on one glass side of a terrarium when the room lighting was just right. Tended to react more in the mornings so it seemed to be an effect from the room's window, not his cage lighting.

Last edited:
I've used home made wooden/glass enclosures successfully, though the commercial glass offerings are much more attractive. Having just recently gotten back in the hobby, the only way to convince my wife to allow it was to create a piece of art, that just happens to house my male Panther. The glass terrarium allows us to have a living piece of rainforest in our living room. This looks great, and creates a ton of conversation with guests, but doesn't come cheap. Custom furniture is expensive, and creating a zoo quality exhibit doesn't come cheap either.

I've used home made wooden/glass enclosures successfully, though the commercial glass offerings are much more attractive. Having just recently gotten back in the hobby, the only way to convince my wife to allow it was to create a piece of art, that just happens to house my male Panther. The glass terrarium allows us to have a living piece of rainforest in our living room. This looks great, and creates a ton of conversation with guests, but doesn't come cheap. Custom furniture is expensive, and creating a zoo quality exhibit doesn't come cheap either.

I'd love to see pictures, if you don't mind. It sounds amazing.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Doors open to show all the storage space. All my electronics, supplements, etc. Cabinet is perfect for all this, plus it's custom made for the dimensions of the terrarium.

What does everyone do for the bottom of the cage. The substrate layer? If so, besides organic soil what else is needed

Back
Top Bottom