Glass enclosure vs. screen enclosure for panther chameleon

robinj0101

I purchased a large glass enclosure intended for a panther chameleon. I went with the glass because I have two cats and I do not want them bothering the little guy. The top of the enclosure is a screen but the rest is glass. I have been reading up and it seems like the glass enclosure is not the way to go. Any thoughts? Should I return? Thanks!

I purchased a large glass enclosure intended for a panther chameleon. I went with the glass because I have two cats and I do not want them bothering the little guy. The top of the enclosure is a screen but the rest is glass. I have been reading up and it seems like the glass enclosure is not the way to go. Any thoughts? Should I return? Thanks!
In my experience screen is best. It allows for the air to move freely threw the cage and allows the cage to dry back out after a misting that's important because of mold mildew and dust...I used glass before ..I had eye problems respiratory infections one right after another..since I switched I have not had a problem in over 3 years

This is my happy guy bubble guppy in his 24x24x48 I got from Amazon prime for $89 beautiful!!

Attachments

• 12366931_10156343100965501_1355641279_n.jpg
    12366931_10156343100965501_1355641279_n.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 386
From all the research I've been doing over the past few months, screen is the way to go...just ordered my Dragon Strand for my future panther yesterday.

Both works but screen seems easier for most people. Winter can be pretty harsh where I live so I went with a glass vivarium which I am happy with since my panther have turned dark in about half an hour after I put him in his free range this winter.
I think you can use both just with the right maintenance required for each

Amazing deal for $89 bucks dude.. I'm just waiting to move into a bigger space to purchase my Panther.. As for the enclosure some people have raised chams in glass enclosures fine, some have had troubles. I believe it all depends on your location and the conditions you have, if it's dry where your at, then a glass enclosure may be ok, I would ensure you have great airflow, either through a convection set up or a small fan on a timer. I'm sure more expirienced Panther owning members will chime in. Keep an eye on your temps and humidity levels, post them so people understand what your working with.

Just remember that the cats can still "bother" your cham in a glass setup. If they sit and stare at him they can still stress him out, as he can't get away from being watched.

I agree,plus the cham might get more stress with its own reflection seeing on the glass,plus the stagnant air along with the water mist situation might add up more bacterias breeding ground,its ok to have the new borns up till 3month old tops,but the screen cages are alway better for better option if u want to have a healthy chams:)

Go with a screen enclosure. People use coroplast, shower curtains, and plastic to maintain humidity in winter then remove the coverings when needed. Dragon Strand makes excellent enclosures. I got mine from a site sponsor FLchams. Very good quality as well.

Go with a screen enclosure. People use coroplast, shower curtains, and plastic to maintain humidity in winter then remove the coverings when needed. Dragon Strand makes excellent enclosures. I got mine from a site sponsor FLchams. Very good quality as well.

Either glass or screen can work, but your own climate will affect which might be best in your situation. IMHO, its easier to modify a screen cage to retain more moisture than it is to modify a glass tank for more airflow (unless you have the tools to cut glass). Of course if you buy a ready-made cham-friendly glass enclosure that's the easier route.

An idea for air flow in a glass enclosure...depending on size...one or two small computer/laptop like fans on top of the screen on one side connected to a timer. Would that be good?

An idea for air flow in a glass enclosure...depending on size...one or two small computer/laptop like fans on top of the screen on one side connected to a timer. Would that be good?
If your glass enclosure already has the lower vent the fans shouldn't be necessary. The chimney effect from your heat source should draw fresh air into the enclosure from the bottom where it needs it the most.

If your glass enclosure already has the lower vent the fans shouldn't be necessary. The chimney effect from your heat source should draw fresh air into the enclosure from the bottom where it needs it the most.
Yea, true...I'm thinking more of the lines when people get access to a tall fish tank and want to use that.

Yea, true...I'm thinking more of the lines when people get access to a tall fish tank and want to use that.

Tall fish tanks don't work all that well for chams because of the dimensional space either. Tall tanks tend to be narrow in depth so there's not much space to set up larger live plants. Horizontally oriented tanks aren't tall enough.

Thank you so much for all of the responses and advice! You guys are awesome!

I just received the screen enclosure. It's a "Reptibreeze" brand and it seems like a piece of junk. I am so FRUSTRATED. Has anyone dealt with this brand?

I agree,plus the cham might get more stress with its own reflection seeing on the glass,plus the stagnant air along with the water mist situation might add up more bacterias breeding ground,its ok to have the new borns up till 3month old tops,but the screen cages are alway better for better option if u want to have a healthy chams:)
I didn't even think about the fact that the cham. might get stressed by his own reflection! So true...so much to think of...I have been wanting to get one for so long..now I find myself holding off because I want the little guy coming to the perfect set up and situation. UGH!

I didn't even think about the fact that the cham. might get stressed by his own reflection! So true...so much to think of...I have been wanting to get one for so long..now I find myself holding off because I want the little guy coming to the perfect set up and situation. UGH!
This is exactly how I am approaching this. I'm researching everything, then little by little obtaining everything I need and I want to have the habitat up and running stable(humidity stats, misting schedule, etc) for a good two weeks before actually putting a cham in it.

Back
Top Bottom