Giving oral medication

opheliaeatsbugs

Avid Member
I need to give Ophelia 0.16mls of Panacur.

If I measure out the medicine using the syringe to the right spot... there is more medicine in the tip. Shouldn't that amount be accounted for??

I don't want to do something stupid like over medicate her. Help??

Also... how far back in the mouth do I put the medicine?
@Andee maybe you could give me some tips?

Attachments

• 20170601_175428.jpg
    20170601_175428.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 96
I need to give Ophelia 0.16mls of Panacur.

If I measure out the medicine using the syringe to the right spot... there is more medicine in the tip. Shouldn't that amount be accounted for??

I don't want to do something stupid like over medicate her. Help??

Also... how far back in the mouth do I put the medicine?
@Andee maybe you could give me some tips?

You only need to worry about the fluid in the tip if you draw up water to mix in with the meds (which I sometimes do). The tip is dead space and holds about .04mls (in the syringes I use). The syringe is calibrated to account for that dead space.

I put the syringe deep in their throat. They've got a really big throat. Be careful, though, so you don't damage their tongue structures.

I give Moe his meds daily and I put it pretty far back there just to avoid the front as much as I can. I asked about the excess meds in the tip at Dr Greeks and they told me that was accounted for, That's already been stated but just thought I'd give my opinion. As for the application I pull the lip down on the side of his mouth just a bit and wedge the syringe in there softly until he opens up and i just slip it in. I've found that to be the least stressful in my experiences.

Back
Top Bottom