Giving away eggs! Calling all Bay Area residents!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakama

I live in Sebastopol, California. I extend an offer to anyone in Sonoma County, or indeed anyone in the Bay Area, of whatever size my young veiled chameleon's clutch turns out to be. I am a new owner and I did not know that my female was pregnant when I purchased her, so I will not be able to take care of these eggs properly for any great length of time. My chameleon is laying right now, I will update this thread later with an egg count. I would really like to give these eggs a good home, so come pick 'em up if you will be able to raise them.

No, not 100% but it's possible as she was housed with a male about a month ago (I think it was a month.)

IMHO I wouldn't be so quick to give away the eggs, until you are 100% sure that they are fertile why not try and incubate them for about 4 months so you know they are fertile and then give them away if you have to.
Zac

Last edited:
Not to be a Debbie downer, but I've never had a egg hatch after transporting from one location to another. Maybe it's due to the smooth :rolleyes: freeway system here in southern California.

@Chameleonrave, would I need to purchase an incubator for that, or would a heat lamp work for a long period of time like that?

@Chameleonrave, would I need to purchase an incubator for that, or would a heat lamp work for a long period of time like that?

either incubator or you can get plastic shoebox sized containers and put hatchrite or vermiculite moist but not moist enough so that water comes out and make sure they are incubated at about 75 degrees. this is my first time having and incubating eggs so maybe other members can help you out.

Fertile infertile who cares the guy is giving the eggs away. He is trying to do something responsible. I have transported thousands of reptile eggs and had them hatch. If you are near the guy and have an incubator take him up on his offer what do you have to loose? Infertile they do not hatch, fertile they hatch and live and you got a free animal.

Ahh screw it...throw them in the freezer like they have to in Australia and move on... sheesh people...

IMO You can move them no problem, better if is in the first couple of days, even later on, as long as you don't flip them over. What I suggest is, buy vermeculite at home depot, buy a few plastic containers at the dollar store. You might want to buy say 4 so you can put about 10 eggs on each (if you want to give them away in groups) or put all of them in a large container. Fill the container with 1.5 inches of vermeculite, add water until you cover it. Put the lid on it and leave a little bit opened, turn it up side down and let the excess of water drain. Once the water stops leaking, place the eggs in rows, separated about 3/4" of each other. Ask the new owner to pick them up in the next couple of days.

About incubation, if you decide to keep them, you might not need an incubator. Find a spot inside your house where you can maintain a temperature between 70-74F. I have used my closet, a drawer in my home office, a rack in the basement, etc.

I think keeping the right temperature it's easier than what most people think.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
75 sounds high to start off with to me. I wouldn't want to worry about them developing too fast. I haven't hatched any larger chameleon eggs yet, but I've decided to start out low (68) for 1.5-2 months and then slowly raise the temps a degree or two per week until I get to 77 ish. I'm trying to break the diapause so I have a mass hatch as opposed to a slower trickle-type hatch. Just my inexperienced opinion based on research.

75 sounds high to start off with to me. I wouldn't want to worry about them developing too fast. I haven't hatched any larger chameleon eggs yet, but I've decided to start out low (68) for 1.5-2 months and then slowly raise the temps a degree or two per week until I get to 77 ish. I'm trying to break the diapause so I have a mass hatch as opposed to a slower trickle-type hatch. Just my inexperienced opinion based on research.

I wish I would have started off with that. Do i still have time? lol :) I can't wait to see pics of your babies Kara.

I'm sure they will be fine. :) Veileds are super hardy even as eggs. I'm hoping they hatch. I've been testing some stuff with another member. We'll see how it turns out!

I'm sure they will be fine. :) Veileds are super hardy even as eggs. I'm hoping they hatch. I've been testing some stuff with another member. We'll see how it turns out!

I will do that tomorrow. do you think 70 is a good temp. but my closet stays about 50 this time of year. I already lost an infertile egg, so I'm hoping I won't lose anymore eggs. Good Luck with all of your eggs by the way!

I apologize to everyone, they are no longer available. I am an inexperienced owner and thought my chameleon was pregnant, turns out she was not.

I will do that tomorrow. do you think 70 is a good temp. but my closet stays about 50 this time of year. I already lost an infertile egg, so I'm hoping I won't lose anymore eggs. Good Luck with all of your eggs by the way!

How did you lose a INFERTILE egg? You can lose what you never had.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom