Giardia!

The Vet is on vacation. Carmelo is not 100%. He is still very lethargic. He seems tired. Im gonna keep him comfortable. He has 80 (shooting for 83) at basking, 33% humidity, constant water drip. He has crickets but has not tried to eat. I'll offer him a hornworm and a superworm. He also had a good poop this morning. I included the poop pic just incase something stands out. Im discontinuing the medication and i have a vet appointment for next week. This boy needs rest.
20221228_132026.jpg
20221228_132033.jpg

The Vet is on vacation. Carmelo is not 100%. He is still very lethargic. He seems tired. Im gonna keep him comfortable. He has 80 (shooting for 83) at basking, 33% humidity, constant water drip. He has crickets but has not tried to eat. I'll offer him a hornworm and a superworm. He also had a good poop this morning. I included the poop pic just incase something stands out. Im discontinuing the medication and i have a vet appointment for next week. This boy needs rest.View attachment 333204View attachment 333205
Why are you stopping meds? This is where it gets tough visually he looks good. Eyes look good not sinking in at all. Urate is perfect and fecal visually looks normal. The issue with stopping meds is that you end up having to restart them if you want to clear the parasite out of the system. Going off food is normal and honestly even if he is taking only a fraction of his feeders that is fine. I would talk to the vet before you take him off the meds.

Why are you stopping meds? This is where it gets tough visually he looks good. Eyes look good not sinking in at all. Urate is perfect and fecal visually looks normal. The issue with stopping meds is that you end up having to restart them if you want to clear the parasite out of the system. Going off food is normal and honestly even if he is taking only a fraction of his feeders that is fine. I would talk to the vet before you take him off the meds.

See, this is a great example of why I love this forum. @Beman you ask the tough questions that need to be asked. I can't stand to see him looking helpless. I get weak in the knees when he looks sad. It breaks my heart to see him laying on the branch. You are right I would rather finish this portion of the treatment than to start over. The Vet is on vacay. I explained everything to the assistant. She suggested I continue with the 4th dose today. My first thought was to restart the meds today. He has 2 doses remaining. He only missed yesterday's dose. I really feel like I should administer the final 2 doses. 1 today and 1 tomorrow. I really dont want to start over. Because after thiscround is completed. He gets a 10 day rest, new fecal test and then he has to have a second round of treatment if more parasites are found. New plan, I'll administer the medication before bedtime. He's basking at 82. 34% daytime humidity. He ate a hornworm this morning. He has crickets in his feeder but I will offer him a hormworm and a few superworms. If he eats them, he can then take the medication on a full tummy. That might help with the metabolizing of the medication. Thoughts?

See, this is a great example of why I love this forum. @Beman you ask the tough questions that need to be asked. I can't stand to see him looking helpless. I get weak in the knees when he looks sad. It breaks my heart to see him laying on the branch. You are right I would rather finish this portion of the treatment than to start over. The Vet is on vacay. I explained everything to the assistant. She suggested I continue with the 4th dose today. My first thought was to restart the meds today. He has 2 doses remaining. He only missed yesterday's dose. I really feel like I should administer the final 2 doses. 1 today and 1 tomorrow. I really dont want to start over. Because after thiscround is completed. He gets a 10 day rest, new fecal test and then he has to have a second round of treatment if more parasites are found. New plan, I'll administer the medication before bedtime. He's basking at 82. 34% daytime humidity. He ate a hornworm this morning. He has crickets in his feeder but I will offer him a hormworm and a few superworms. If he eats them, he can then take the medication on a full tummy. That might help with the metabolizing of the medication. Thoughts?
Yeah I am not sure if eating then taking will help. But it is worth the try.

I may not always say what everyone wants to hear but I try to always be honest. I know what it is like with a very sick cham and having to go through the medication process. I know it is hard to watch them suffer and not be able to do anything. Just remember by medicating you are doing something. ❤️

Just be sure you follow proper cleaning. My understanding of Giardia is that they can reinfect themselves if they lick or eat from a place where fecal has been. Because the parasite comes out in the fecal. @JacksJill would know much better than I on this though.

Yeah I am not sure if eating then taking will help. But it is worth the try.

I may not always say what everyone wants to hear but I try to always be honest. I know what it is like with a very sick cham and having to go through the medication process. I know it is hard to watch them suffer and not be able to do anything. Just remember by medicating you are doing something. ❤️

Just be sure you follow proper cleaning. My understanding of Giardia is that they can reinfect themselves if they lick or eat from a place where fecal has been. Because the parasite comes out in the fecal. @JacksJill would know much better than I on this though.
Copy. I removed all of the removable plants. The Pothos and maney Tree are in the enclosure but they are up high. He usually just hides in the Pothos and eats the leaves of the money tree. I use pig mats in the bottom of the enclosure to manage fecal matter and water. I just roll up the pig mat, toss it and fecal matter in the trash. Wipe bottom of enclosure with colorox then wipe with water. Im also wiping vines and leaves daily due to Giardia. Antibacterial Dawn and clean water.

Tonight's medication administration was terrifying 😳. He thrashed and thrashed. I put him back into the enclosure. He climbed to the highest branch ( he seemed discombobulated). Suddenly, he fell - we screamed, he caught himself with his tail. He started blowing up his chin area ( as if he was gaging). I panicked. My husband assured me that he placed the medicine near the back of his mouth. We were all traumàtized. He is resting on the highest branch. Im concerned that he might fall.😰 He is not asleep just trying to recover from having medication forced in his mouth.I can't stay awake tonight. My husband and daughter are going to monitor Carmelo while they are awake. I really wish he would move lower in the enclosure.
20221228_224314.jpg

Tonight's medication administration was terrifying 😳. He thrashed and thrashed. I put him back into the enclosure. He climbed to the highest branch ( he seemed discombobulated). Suddenly, he fell - we screamed, he caught himself with his tail. He started blowing up his chin area ( as if he was gaging). I panicked. My husband assured me that he placed the medicine near the back of his mouth. We were all traumàtized. He is resting on the highest branch. Im concerned that he might fall.😰 He is not asleep just trying to recover from having medication forced in his mouth.I can't stay awake tonight. My husband and daughter are going to monitor Carmelo while they are awake. I really wish he would move lower in the enclosure.View attachment 333219
Poor guy 😭 I am not looking forward to a time that I might have to medicate my boy or to see him sick. I'm sure you have done all that you can and hopefully in the morning he will be looking better. Positive vibes and prayers for good sleep for you both.

I’m thinking the same thing. It may have been an escape attempt.
I totally agree. While I was holding him. I could not get him to calm down. So I returned him to his enclosure. He looked exhausted. Actually, we were all totally exhausted. I have 1 more dose. Ugh! Poor guy. Maybe I should put him in a dark box before returning him to his enclosure. Injecting feeders might be a better option. I think he hates me.😭.

Because Caemelo is an adopted adult, we don't have that solid relationship bond. He does trust us but with this week's events he looks scared. We don't know how he was treated prior to the adoption. The Animal shelter workers said he was mean and always hissing. However, in our home he has been totally opposite. Great behavior. He hissed at us during the 3rd medication administration. Prior to that, we had not heard him hiss. He can't hide because I've removed most of the plants. This guy is definitely experiencing more trauma.

My Little Guy had Coccidia when he was just 4mos old. Trying to dose him EVERY DAY was traumatizing for everyone involved. He was skittish of me for a little while after, but he warmed back up to me. Food does wonders - he now loves to eat from my hands and will crawl onto my arm to explore from time to time. Don't fret - you're doing what you need to for Carmelo. One more dose and then everyone will be able to rest. He's going to forget pretty quickly what he had to go through, and you'll build that trust right back up with him.

Hold fast! You're almost done. :)

I’m thinking the same thing. It may have been an escape attempt.

My Little Guy had Coccidia when he was just 4mos old. Trying to dose him EVERY DAY was traumatizing for everyone involved. He was skittish of me for a little while after, but he warmed back up to me. Food does wonders - he now loves to eat from my hands and will crawl onto my arm to explore from time to time. Don't fret - you're doing what you need to for Carmelo. One more dose and then everyone will be able to rest. He's going to forget pretty quickly what he had to go through, and you'll build that trust right back up with him.

Hold fast! You're almost done. :)
Thanks, I needed to hear that.

I’m so sorry that happened to you all. 🥺 I’m wondering if Carmelo didn’t fall, but instead was throwing himself down in a last ditch survival attempt to escape the giant predator who was trying to eat him.
Just curious...do you say that because he caught himself with his tail or is that common when they fall.

I totally agree. While I was holding him. I could not get him to calm down. So I returned him to his enclosure. He looked exhausted. Actually, we were all totally exhausted. I have 1 more dose. Ugh! Poor guy. Maybe I should put him in a dark box before returning him to his enclosure. Injecting feeders might be a better option. I think he hates me.😭.
He may be upset with you but I'm sure he will come back around to loving you again soon. 🥰 With his next dose try taking a small wash cloth or towel and wrapping it around him so he can't thrash around that way you have more control and he is more secure in your hands so there is less chance of injury and you can see better where your dose is going. I have seen this recommend in other threads for giving meds and it was said that it made it easier and less stressful for the cham. Good luck hope he feels better soon. 😍

He may be upset with you but I'm sure he will come back around to loving you again soon. 🥰 With his next dose try taking a small wash cloth or towel and wrapping it around him so he can't thrash around that way you have more control and he is more secure in your hands so there is less chance of injury and you can see better where your dose is going. I have seen this recommend in other threads for giving meds and it was said that it made it easier and less stressful for the cham. Good luck hope he feels better soon. 😍
Yes, I'm making a swaddling blanket today. I will be able to use it to administer his meds. I think we (humans) are more stressed than Carmelo which adds more stress for him.

Just curious...do you say that because he caught himself with his tail or is that common when they fall.
When they feel that they have no other choice, they will ‘throw’ themselves down in a fall as a last chance to escape. It’s very unnerving for us when they do it as we know we aren’t going to hurt them, but their perspective is very different.

Back
Top Bottom