Giardia!

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Help....Just got fecal results, Carmelo has a small amount of Giardia! I'm freaking out - I will pick up medicine from Vet tomorrow. I'm not worried about cleaning the enclosure, I can handle that but opening his mouth to give medicine scares me to death....The thought of handling - not so gentle, opening his mouth, giving him medicine-yikes! Should I use gloves when I pick him up? 😭

Veiled. I do have a second person to help. He is as sweet as pie. I've never heard him hiss. He's never tried to bite. He just throws his head to the side when he does not want to be bothered. I'm really afraid of hurting him.

Have a helper Wrap them in a hand towel to minimize the movement/ thrashing, I had to put meds into my chameleon eye and my vet showed me this technique. Then you can control the body and dose the meds

I just finished several sessions of deworming I used a needle to inject my feeders , then just fed my cam Super easy zero stress , One of the conditions I had was Giardia which is really not that big a deal so don’t stress too hard

With veileds and especially the boys, it’s pretty easy to give them oral meds. You need confidence and a little bit of speed. I don’t even take my boy out of his enclosure. I go in, gently grasp his casque and as soon as he opens his mouth, I get that syringe in and squirt in the back of his throat. Usually he already has his head tilted at an upwards angle which is perfect. I’m currently having to give my boy meds and will try to grab a video of it if I can find something to hold my camera.

With veileds and especially the boys, it’s pretty easy to give them oral meds. You need confidence and a little bit of speed. I don’t even take my boy out of his enclosure. I go in, gently grasp his casque and as soon as he opens his mouth, I get that syringe in and squirt in the back of his throat. Usually he already has his head tilted at an upwards angle which is perfect. I’m currently having to give my boy meds and will try to grab a video of it if I can find something to hold my camera.
Nice. That will certainly help me with my confidence. I'm really glad I took him for a second Vet visit.

On second thought, grab his casque! I can visually picture how that would work, it makes sense but I'm terrified. What's the casque made of, is it soft tissue, air, cartilage, can I hurt his casque? This is definitely going to be challenging. I better step up my Vet Tech skills - stat! This is a good option.

Last edited:
Have a helper Wrap them in a hand towel to minimize the movement/ thrashing, I had to put meds into my chameleon eye and my vet showed me this technique. Then you can control the body and dose the meds
Ok. This would be like swaddling a baby. This makes sense and is a good option. The Vet showed me how to hold him and open his mouth.

Back
Top Bottom