Giant Feeders!

Norcal55

Avid Member
Ive been breeding Hissing Cockroaches for a while in order to maintain a supply for my Orange Eye Parsons and was shocked to see how the colony has grown. I stopped counting at 200 full grown adults at 3"-4" long. These are really cool.

Im picking up some Giant Cave roaches next week to step the size of feeders up even more.
Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 12.00.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 11.58.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 12.00.50 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 11.58.48 PM.png

That's an awesome colony of hissers you have there....I'm jealous. I'll be interested in seeing how the giant cave roaches work out.

What is your secret for such success with the hissers??

That's an awesome colony of hissers you have there....I'm jealous. I'll be interested in seeing how the giant cave roaches work out.

What is your secret for such success with the hissers??
Hi , thanks! The colony was twice this size but I kept giving them away before i got the parsons. No real secret. I keep them in a 20 gal. covered aquarium with moist coco on the bottom with heat tape for a heat source. I do keep the heat tape on the side of the tank and not the bottom that way they can regulate their temps and move around. I feed mixed veggies and oranges but alway have Bug Burger for them to eat. I just leave them alone, only feed enough food that they will eat without it going bad and clean the tank every few months ;)

Hi , thanks! The colony was twice this size but I kept giving them away before i got the parsons. No real secret. I keep them in a 20 gal. covered aquarium with moist coco on the bottom with heat tape for a heat source. I do keep the heat tape on the side of the tank and not the bottom that way they can regulate their temps and move around. I feed mixed veggies and oranges but alway have Bug Burger for them to eat. I just leave them alone, only feed enough food that they will eat without it going bad and clean the tank every few months ;)

I believe I'll try my hand at this. My Melleri are getting to the point where a new larger food item would probably make them happy!! Thanks for the info!!

Giant cave cockroaches from what I understand need a cocofibre bedding, and lots of vertical climbing spaces so they can have successful molts.

I've been keeping the HC's now for awhile to feed Atlas and they are garbage disposals. Whatever uneaten veggies we have after dinner just get put into their huge bin. Next day it's gone and the HC's are just getting huge.

Back
Top Bottom