getting too hot…am I allowed to do this ?

I only run mine for 5 hours year round. 9:30am-2:30pm mimicking what would be the hottest part of the day. They do not need basking on for 12 hours. I keep my ambient in the low 70's with air conditioning in the summer and a blocked heat vent in the winter. My hybrid enclosure does the work for me by regulating the cage temp based on the ambient room temp.

Basking is used to provide a warm spot for digestion. But when ambient temps are higher than the recommended low 70's you want to turn off the basking fixture and only run the UVB. Ambient temps that are those of basking temps means no basking fixture should be used.

If your ambient temps are too cold then you have to be really cautious using a heat fixture to "heat" the cage. You do not want to create a spot that is too hot either while your trying to warm the cage. This is when correcting the ambient temp issue is needed.
This might be a dumb question but I want to make sure I’m understanding this how I read it. Your ambient temps are low 70s all day and night correct? The room my Cham is in does not have great air flow thanks to my crappy AC. I live in south Florida and even with my AC running at 70 all night the ambient temp in there only gets down to 72-73 ish. Is that okay? Humidity average without even misting sits at around 50%. Drops some when the basking is on but not a whole lot. Im so paranoid about my girl getting an RI.

Last edited:
This might be a dumb question but I want to make sure I’m understanding this how I read it. Your ambient temps are low 70s all day and night correct? The room my Cham is in does not have great air flow thanks to my crappy AC. I live in south Florida and even with my AC running at 70 all night the ambient temp in there only gets down to 72-73 ish. Is that okay? Humidity average without even misting sits at around 50%. Drops some when the basking is on but not a whole lot. Im so paranoid about my girl getting an RI.
Hi there. So I drop mine as low as I can which is typically 62-65 at night setting the air conditioner to its lowest setting. Then running it during the day I keep the air conditioner set to 70. This keeps the lower half of my cage at 72-74 while the upper basking level stays 78-79.

So your daytime temps are ok but you want a reduction in night time temps. You might need to get a new air conditioner for the window to provide extra cooling.

Humidity range for a Veiled can be lower than 50%. 30-40% without misting is fine for them. Now when you start getting higher humidity levels 60% and up all day not just a spike after misting that reduces this would be a concern. Some people in high humidity areas have to use a dehumidifier in the room to pull levels down. I did when I lived in a high humidity area. In a higher humidity area doing a shorter 1-2 minute misting in the morning and then a longer misting in the late afternoon when cage temps start to reduce is helpful for controlling the daytime levels. Then provide a dripper cup which can be a solo plastic cup with tiny pin holes in the bottom set on the cage. Add ice cubes for a slow drip on to the plants below.

You do want air circulation as well. Stagnant air is not the best for them. If using a hybrid cage we use the small PC fans on top of cages to pull air up and out.

Hi there. So I drop mine as low as I can which is typically 62-65 at night setting the air conditioner to its lowest setting. Then running it during the day I keep the air conditioner set to 70. This keeps the lower half of my cage at 72-74 while the upper basking level stays 78-79.

So your daytime temps are ok but you want a reduction in night time temps. You might need to get a new air conditioner for the window to provide extra cooling.

Humidity range for a Veiled can be lower than 50%. 30-40% without misting is fine for them. Now when you start getting higher humidity levels 60% and up all day not just a spike after misting that reduces this would be a concern. Some people in high humidity areas have to use a dehumidifier in the room to pull levels down. I did when I lived in a high humidity area. In a higher humidity area doing a shorter 1-2 minute misting in the morning and then a longer misting in the late afternoon when cage temps start to reduce is helpful for controlling the daytime levels. Then provide a dripper cup which can be a solo plastic cup with tiny pin holes in the bottom set on the cage. Add ice cubes for a slow drip on to the plants below.

You do want air circulation as well. Stagnant air is not the best for them. If using a hybrid cage we use the small PC fans on top of cages to pull air up and out.
There’s no way for me to put a window unit in the apartment I’m in. Windows are way too big for that. There’s also no way for my ambient temps in my apartment to get down that low. Circulation just doesn’t flow that well, especially this time of year.

I do have a dehumidifier though. I’ll give that a go tomorrow and see how low it drops the humidity. I have a dripper on top, as well as a fan pointing at the bottom of the enclosure to give it some circulation.

Thank you for your insight and willingness to share your knowledge. I’m learning so much from this forum!

There’s no way for me to put a window unit in the apartment I’m in. Windows are way too big for that. There’s also no way for my ambient temps in my apartment to get down that low. Circulation just doesn’t flow that well, especially this time of year.

I do have a dehumidifier though. I’ll give that a go tomorrow and see how low it drops the humidity. I have a dripper on top, as well as a fan pointing at the bottom of the enclosure to give it some circulation.

Thank you for your insight and willingness to share your knowledge. I’m learning so much from this forum!
Your welcome... Another option that may work for you is a portable air conditioner. This is what I had to get for my townhouse because they do not allow the window units. These have a hose that vents out the window and a piece that expands the fit the opening. Only about 6 inches inches wide for the hose. You can expand the piece to fit a horizontal or vertical opening on a window. They are a little bit more expensive but work really well.

Back
Top Bottom