getting through to pet shops*rant*

happy

so, after visiting my pet shop of choice... i go in every other wednesday for crickets, supers, and calciworms when they have them in stock, and general bs... they are a chain, but the people that work there, are generally very open to suggestion, and are... people.my first time in the store,they have a male and female veiled together in a 8"x8"x12 box. I asked them to seperate them, to which they promptly complied. the next time i go in, they were very excited about the male, his colors popped, and pow sold 2 days after seperation. the female 2 days after him. 2 months ago, when they got a jackson aproximately 1.5-2 months old... they had him's cage temps at 90+ humidity at 25%. at least they had gauges. My first chameleon was a jackson, 15+ years ago. I kept him for a good 5-6 years before he choked to death on a beetle., so they have a special place in my heart... I talked to several associates, and the regional manager. quick tips, mist them more, bring his cage temps down... lights off at night... those sort of things... every time i'd go in, he was skinnier, temps the same, humidty the same... generally... just poor husbandry...
I go in today, and they have moved the rack, i asked about him... the manager tells me he died. so i start probing with a question... knowing how they are told to opperate. How many cricket a day do you feed them? "2". are you effing kidding me? 2 effing crickets? wtf? i spent a good hour there... talking with the manager.... i feel they want to do good... but..... am i wasting my time?

Ughh I know a couple of local pet shops like that too.. I was at this pet store and they had received a 8 month Jackson male and a Pygmy chameleon and a 3 month female amilobe and the manager tells the employee put them all in the same cage!! And I was like you're joking right? And I had to explain to him exactly why that was not possible and actually took my advice thank god!! But no you're not wasting your time bro keep showing them how it's done!! Do it for the chams!!

I live in south Cali, and most of the chain pet stores that carry chameleons, or any reptile for that matter are, here are terrible. I assume most sates or countries are like that just based on what I've seen. The veiled that was at least 9 months was kept in an exo Terra crested gecko cage! It says "crested gecko" for a reason, and he had sunken eye and mbd. Luckily, my friend bought him and he is now healthy. Chains are terrible, and are just running on company rules. They just expect them to believe that the company knows everything and won't take suggestions. What you did was right. FOR THE CHAMS!

I started ranting at petco months ago about the panther they keep in a foot deep foot tall and foot and a half size enclosure but they don't budge. They couldn't even tell the sex or the type. The veiled have a decent enclosure since they are babies that's 3 ft wide and 2 feet tall by 1ft deep. Now they have a female Jackson as well. I watched most of these the first few months after I got my Cham and they grow but all seem stressed. The Panther was blood red till someone bought her. Thankful that they did. I almost bought her.

Back
Top Bottom