Getting ready to say goodbye to Lou

So sorry you went through this. It’s not because your a bad keeper, I know that when something happens people tend to blame themselves, I just want you to know that you did the right thing and your an amazing keeper. Good night Lou.

Such a handsome guy! I am sorry for your loss, but you made the right choice. He is no longer in pain and now you need the chance to heal yourself, as well.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Hillary... we were all rooting for Lou! Watching them go downhill is one of the most difficult things to experience, and even when you do everything right sometimes it's just too late.

Oh man. Still grieving and doubting and having a hard time since making the call to put Lou down. I asked the vet today after some time if he noticed anything or had any thoughts after the fact. I am copy and pasting his response. I feel that maybe this could of been treated, I’m not sure. We never took samples from
His big balloon joints and I called him being put down with just noticing a huge decline and quality of life. Still I stay awake at night wondering if I didn’t give him enough of a chance. Please let me know your thoughts on takeaway from this. From everything I’m reading into maybe it could of been resolved. I am sharing this for feedback and also for insight on his situation to those who’ve followed it...

The most noteworthy thing we identified from the joint samples were an abundance of inflammatory cells indicating an immune response and that the joint surfaces were remodelling. There were some bacteria present on 1 slide which suggests the joint was no longer sterile; I wonder if this is related to the feet wounds being an entry point for bacteria. My takeaway is that there might have been a septic episode with bacteria getting into the bloodstream and moving into areas it normally would not be.

I could not get any of my cytology stains to show crystal formation, so I am leaning toward an immune response as the primary process. Whether this is abnormal autoimmune changes or just an aggressive inflammation isn't clear, but I would guess something was causing the joints to be irritating and it was an inflammation process.

I truly feel for you and understand all too well what you are going thru. You and Lou fought a long hard battle and while it was and still is a gut-wrenching decision, I personally believe that you made the right choice. It all comes down to quality vs quantity of life. At what cost do we prolong life just for the sake of longevity and avoiding the pain of loss? That answer is different for all of us.
Even at this point, it is not certain what truly ailed Lou. He may have been septic and had an undetermined inflammatory process or it could have been something else entirely. It is hard to treat any ailment when the causes are unclear. You can only treat the symptoms and not the cause, so it becomes a never-ending battle.
You gave Lou peace from his suffering at the expense of your own feelings. It’s only out of a deep love that you were able to release him from his pain. Find peace in that love and let your heart heal.

I agree that you made the right choice, albeit an extremely difficult one. There is no question as to whether or not you were dedicated to his recovery, and you put everything you had into helping him get well. Sometimes, no matter what we throw at an illness, the person or animal never fully recovers. I am sorry that you are struggling with your decision. Try to find peace and know that Lou has.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right call. It's so hard to make these sorts of decisions when the quality of life is in question, and the prognosis (and even diagnosis!) is uncertain. Hindsight is always 20/20, and beating yourself up about it won't do anything but hurt you. Rest easy knowing that you did an amazing job with Lou during his long road, and you did so much more for him than many would. Allow yourself to grieve, and remember the good times. This too shall pass, and we as a community are here to help you through this. ❤

My baby boy Karma... he was so, so sick. I probably could have kept him going and kept trying for longer than I did, keep throwing treatments at him just in case he'd pull through, but his quality of life was practically nothing. He couldn't do any of the things that he was intended to do - couldn't eat on his own, wouldn't drink without a dropper, wouldn't open his eyes, or thermoregulate without my help... what kind of life is that? When you look at them toward the end, you know when they're tired of fighting, when they've got nothing left to give. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, nothing works and the kindest thing we can do is give them a painless end. It sucks, and I know I had a lot of sleepless nights both before and after, but we do what we do for their sake.

Thank you guys for your sweet tenderness and genuine sentiments being offered, they are helping more than I can word out. My own partner and family and friends do not get it, and don’t understand how I can/could of loved a lizard so hard and it’s been really, really difficult. I can’t even kill a damn fly, so putting him down felt terrible just in the whole process of it, from beginning to end it was unnerving and felt cruel because he was so vulnerable and just immediately went to sleep after a short panic of what was coming to him and I left there feeling so much. Freaking Woof. I was offered a rescue chameleon today and turned it down because I can only imagine id become obsessed and overly concerned after these last six months with Lou. It’s so naked not having him, and there is totally a hole in my brain that occupied my worry and mothering him, but I don’t feel like now or anytime soon therefor would be adequate on taking another chameleon on. I will continue another chameleon familiar when the time is right and I have healed with so much more knowledge and wisdom that I’ve gained from his and is experience. I feel like chameleons are a true comrade to me and are so, so special to befriend and experience. I’m going to vet tech school this spring or summer in hopes to learn and be able to help the herp community but still have miles to go before getting there. I guess out of everything, I truly loved learning throughout all of this and wish there was a bigger footprint for veterinary knowledge and studies on this special species. This forum has been something I’d wish I found sooner, and is such a beautiful community of like minded weirdos (no offense only love), and it’s beautiful to find a space with so much to give and learn, I’m extremely grateful for all of you. ❤️

Also this being said, I have so much lighting equipment, branches, and repashy and straight calcium that if you see someone on this forum who can not afford improving their habitats please tag me in and I will ship it out to those who can’t afford it but need it. Please keep me in mind for this.

Natural remedies for gout
  1. Cherries or tart cherry juice. ...
  2. Magnesium. ...
  3. Ginger. ...
  4. Warm water with apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and turmeric. ...
  5. Celery or celery seeds. ...
  6. Nettle tea. ...
  7. Dandelion. ...
  8. Milk thistle seeds.
These are home rememdies for humans in sure a few can be cross species remedies for anyone else that may come across gout. My condolences you did the rite thing.

Also this being said, I have so much lighting equipment, branches, and repashy and straight calcium that if you see someone on this forum who can not afford improving their habitats please tag me in and I will ship it out to those who can’t afford it but need it. Please keep me in mind for this.
Honestly, I think you may want to hang on to some of it for at least a little while longer. The fates often have a way of putting in our path the most unexpected things that we didn’t know we need.

Honestly, I think you may want to hang on to some of it for at least a little while longer. The fates often have a way of putting in our path the most unexpected things that we didn’t know we need.

100% this! Not that long after losing Karma, I ended up with Lily. Animals have a funny way of finding you when they need you, and you need them!

Back
Top Bottom